Why no talk of Bill Richardson '08?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, people are talking about Hillary '08 (fools), Bayh '08 (less foolish, but he is a Senator), maybe Vilsak and I've even heard talk of Specter switching to the Democratic side and running. Yet I haven't heard anyone mention Bill Richardson as a possible '08 Democratic candidate, when he seems like such a great one.
wasteofo2
People are talking about Hillary '08 (fools), they're talking about Bayh '08 (less foolish, but he is a Senator), maybe Vilsak and I've even heard talk of Specter switching to the Democratic side and running. Yet I haven't heard anyone mention Bill Richardson as a possible '08 Democratic candidate, when he seems like such a great one.

1) Richardson is a governor, so:
A: He has experience in the executive branch that people like Bayh don't have
B: He doesn't have that LOOOOOOONG list of voting for or against everything in creation (for tax cuts, for tax increase, for military spending, against military spending etc.)

2) Richardson isn't a stiff boring steryotypical politician (like Kerry), nor is he dangerously passionate (like Dean). He seems like someone who you could sit down and talk with, and who would have a simple answer to helping you out with your problems.

3) He seems like an intelligent, experienced guy in general, definitely someone I'd feel comfortable with being my leader.

And, he’s part of a new breed of Democrats, whom actually stand for fiscal responsibility, and he’s apparently CUT TAXES for New Mexicans.

Anyway, your thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think he's a passable governor.

Was a time, when I thought Kerry'd pick him as veep, but I was wrong.

Richardson may not be viable because he might come off as being weak on illegal immigration...just my initial thought. Otherwise, he's probably a safe shot.

I posed the same question to my friend tonight, who supports Evan Bayh, and he said that Richardson couldn't run because of some horrible skeleton in his closet that he couldn't recall. Anyone have any idea what this skeleton is?

Gokul43201 said:

Richardson may not be viable because he might come off as being weak on illegal immigration...just my initial thought. Otherwise, he's probably a safe shot.
Has anyone been strong on illegal immigration? When Bush went on Bill O'Reilly's show, O'Reilly got pretty close to going off on Bush about how LITTLE he's done to stop illegal immigration.

I think the main knock against him locally is that he seems to have a very arrogant style. It's the little things, like cussing out state legislators, hiring a gourmet chef, being chauffered down the highway at 100 mph (this last really needs to be put into context, 80 mph would be a pretty reasonable speed on an interstate that runs across New Mexico).

He and a few other Western Democrats would probably be a better option for 2008 than the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. There's a few Dem's that have made it in predominately Republican states: Janet Napolitano of Arizona, Harry Reid of Nevada, Ben Nelson of Nebraska, Ken Salazar of Colorado. Any of these would make a good presidential candidate if they could get nominated by mainstream Democrats. (Actually, Richardson, Napolitano, and Nelson probably better than the other two, although, in Salazar's case, it's because he hasn't even served a day in Senate yet).

Gokul43201 said:

Bush is weak on illegal immigration. Everyopne is weak on it. I seriously think the only people in the coun try who still oppose an open border are the california republicans. The national party sure doesn't give a rats ass.

FAQ: Why no talk of Bill Richardson '08?

1. Why isn't there much talk about Bill Richardson running for president in 2008?

There are a few reasons why there isn't much talk about Bill Richardson running for president in 2008. One possible reason is that he has not yet officially announced his candidacy. Another reason could be that he is not as well-known or popular as other potential candidates, so he may not be receiving as much media attention. Additionally, there may be other political issues or events that are currently taking precedence over discussions about potential candidates.

2. Is Bill Richardson considering a presidential run in 2008?

As of now, it is unclear if Bill Richardson is seriously considering a presidential run in 2008. He has not made any official announcements or statements indicating his intentions, so it is difficult to say for certain. However, he has expressed interest in running for president in the past and has not ruled it out completely.

3. What are Bill Richardson's qualifications for running for president in 2008?

Bill Richardson has a strong background in politics and government, having served as a congressman, governor, and Secretary of Energy and Secretary of the Interior under President Bill Clinton. He also has experience in foreign policy, having served as the US Ambassador to the United Nations. Additionally, he has a strong record of bipartisanship and has been praised for his negotiation skills.

4. How does Bill Richardson's platform differ from other potential candidates in the 2008 election?

Bill Richardson has not yet released a platform for the 2008 election, as he has not officially announced his candidacy. However, based on his past political stances and statements, he may differ from other candidates in areas such as immigration, energy policy, and foreign relations. He has also expressed support for universal healthcare and a strong focus on education.

5. What are the chances of Bill Richardson winning the 2008 presidential election?

It is difficult to predict the chances of any potential candidate winning the 2008 presidential election, as there are many variables that can influence the outcome. However, as of now, Bill Richardson is not considered a front-runner in the race and may face challenges in gaining widespread support and recognition. Ultimately, it will depend on his campaign strategy and the political climate at the time of the election.