Why stress is defined on 3 surface

In summary, the stress tensor is defined at each point in a material and can be used to determine the traction vector on a differential area of arbitrary orientation. The cube is just a simplified way to understand the concept, but in reality, the stress tensor accounts for changes in stress from one side of a differential cube to the other. It is important to consider the size and homogeneity of the material when using the stress tensor.
kidsasd987
https://www.google.ca/search?q=stre...m=isch&q=stress+tensor&imgrc=xK8-tGSPxXha7M%3
This is a simple question.

-why stress is defined on 3 surfaces only instead of the entire 6 surfaces? I believe 3 surfaces are enough to explain the stress of a small cube. At static equilibrium, the opposite surfaces will experience the same stress but with the opposite direction. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
kidsasd987 said:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=stre...m=isch&q=stress+tensor&imgrc=xK8-tGSPxXha7M%3
This is a simple question.

-why stress is defined on 3 surfaces only instead of the entire 6 surfaces? I believe 3 surfaces are enough to explain the stress of a small cube. At static equilibrium, the opposite surfaces will experience the same stress but with the opposite direction. Is this right?
Yes, if the state of stress is homogeneous. If not, the stresses on one side of a cube can be slightly different from the corresponding stresses on the other side of the small cube.

Using a cube is just a way to get you started understanding the stress tensor. But really, the stress tensor is defined at each point in a material. Within this context, it is better to learn the advanced treatment in which the Cauchy Stress Relationship is used to determine the "traction vector" on a differential area of arbitrary orientation at a given location in a medium.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Yes, if the state of stress is homogeneous. If not, the stresses on one side of a cube can be slightly different from the corresponding stresses on the other side of the small cube.

Using a cube is just a way to get you started understanding the stress tensor. But really, the stress tensor is defined at each point in a material. Within this context, it is better to learn the advanced treatment in which the Cauchy Stress Relationship is used to determine the "traction vector" on a differential area of arbitrary orientation at a given location in a medium.

Chet

Thank you for your answer.

I understood it this way. if we find the moment then it will end up that the opposite surface will have stress components with the same magnitude but with the opposite directions because moment should be 0.so, I assume this is true
*iff the cube is under static equilibrium.
Also, I have another question.

I looked up tensor briefly, and I have a question.
Angle Beta is preserved, and I don't know how it should be. Is this a tensor property that preserved for any type of coordinate system?

if so, could you tell me that how I can mathmatically and physically interpret this.

Attachments

• 스크린샷 2016-02-15 오후 11.30.54.png
    스크린샷 2016-02-15 오후 11.30.54.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 369
Chestermiller said:

I think it is implicit in these pictures of cubes that the cube is infinitesimally small, so that this difference becomes negligible also if stress in the material is non-homogeneous.

DrDu said:
I think it is implicit in these pictures of cubes that the cube is infinitesimally small, so that this difference becomes negligible also if stress in the material is non-homogeneous.
Well, this is how they teach it to get us started. But, when we do differential force balances to obtain the Stress-Equilibrium equations in solid mechanics or the Navier Stokes equations in fluid mechanics, these stresses are taken to change from one side of the differential cube to the other, and these changes become key terms in the final differential force balance equations.

Likes kidsasd987

Related to Why stress is defined on 3 surface

1. Why is stress defined on three surfaces?

Stress is defined on three surfaces because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the forces acting on a material. When stress is defined on three surfaces, it takes into account the three-dimensional nature of stress and how it affects an object from different angles.

2. How does defining stress on three surfaces affect material behavior?

Defining stress on three surfaces allows for a more accurate representation of material behavior. It takes into account the different types of stress that a material may experience, such as tension, compression, and shear, and how they may interact with each other.

3. Is defining stress on three surfaces more complex than defining it on one surface?

Defining stress on three surfaces may seem more complex, but it actually provides a more complete and accurate understanding of the forces acting on a material. It takes into account the three-dimensional nature of stress, which is essential for understanding material behavior.

4. Why is it important to consider all three surfaces when defining stress?

Considering all three surfaces when defining stress is important because it allows for a more thorough analysis of how forces are distributed throughout a material. This is especially important for complex structures or materials that experience multiple types of stress.

5. Can stress be defined on more than three surfaces?

Yes, stress can be defined on more than three surfaces. In fact, some materials or structures may require a more detailed analysis that takes into account stress on multiple surfaces. However, for many applications, defining stress on three surfaces is sufficient for understanding material behavior.