Why the particle velocity in Dirac theory is equal to c?

In summary, the velocity of an electron in Dirac's theory is equal to the speed of light. This paradoxical result is obtained if wave packets with either positive or negative energy are used. According to Ehrenfest's theorem, QM is meant to reproduce the classical results for the average values.
Arbab
In Dirac theory the electron velocity is equal to the speed of light. Why should that appear? Why should we try to solve this problem outside quantum mechanics hypothesis? Should we look for an alternative theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arbab said:
In Dirac theory the electron velocity is equal to the speed of light. Why should that appear? Why should we try to solve this problem outside quantum mechanics hypothesis? Should we look for an alternative theory?

When we treat Dirac’s theory as a single-particle theory, the free Dirac particle undergoes a rapidly oscillating motion (Zitterbewegung) around the classical trajectory. This “motion” is caused by the interference between the positive and the negative energy components of the wave packet representing the free Dirac particle. However, the Zitterbewegung vanishes if wave packets with either positive or negative energy are used. This shows that a relativistic single particle theory is not possible, it can only be approximately considered when the corresponding wave packets is restricted to either positive or negative energy range.
If the above is not clear enough for you, let me know and I will do the math for you. Basically, paradoxical results are obtained if the “velocity operator” is calculated according to
[tex]\frac{d \hat{x}_{i}}{dt} = \frac{1}{i \hbar} [ \hat{x}_{i} , H_{D}] = c \alpha_{i} .[/tex]
This shows that
1) the absolute value of the electron velocity is equal to the speed of light (the einenvalues of [itex]\mathbf{\alpha}[/itex] are [itex]\pm 1[/itex]),
2) the components of the velocity cannot be measured simultaneously (the [itex]\alpha_{i}[/itex]’s don’t commute with each other).
Of course, this is just rubbish because, according to Ehrenfest’s theorem, QM is meant to reproduce the classical results for the average values. Indeed, we can show that the classical results are obtained only if wave packets with only positive, or only negative, energy are used. To see that, first integrate the equation
[tex]\frac{d \alpha_{i}}{dt} = \frac{1}{i \hbar} [ \alpha_{i} , H_{D} ] = \frac{2i}{\hbar} (c \hat{p}_{i} - \alpha_{i}H_{D}) ,[/tex] then average over positive or negative energy wave packet to kill the Zitterbewegung and obtain the relativistic velocity
[tex]\vec{v} = c \langle \vec{\alpha} \rangle = \frac{c^{2} \vec{p}}{E_{p}} .[/tex]

Likes vanhees71, Demystifier, Nugatory and 1 other person
@samalkhaiat, are there Lorentz covariant versions of the equations of motion you have written above?

No. The whole point of my previous post is to stress the fact that single-particle QM is not compatible with special relativity. Clearly you get into troubles if you write the Heisenberg equation [itex]dX^{j}/dt = [iH , X^{j}][/itex] in the form [tex][ i P^{\mu} , X^{\nu} ] = \partial^{\mu}X^{\nu}=\eta^{\mu\nu}.[/tex] If [itex]X^{j}[/itex] is to represent the (3) position operators, then [itex]P^{0}[/itex] cannot represent the Hamiltonian, [itex]H[/itex], of the single particle theory. Also, what "operator " does [itex]X^{0}[/itex] represent?

Time in a co-moving frame?

Related to Why the particle velocity in Dirac theory is equal to c?

1. Why is the particle velocity in Dirac theory equal to c?

The particle velocity in Dirac theory is equal to c because it is a fundamental constant in the theory of relativity. In this theory, the speed of light is considered to be a universal physical constant, and all particles, including those described by the Dirac equation, must travel at this speed.

2. How does the Dirac equation incorporate the speed of light?

The Dirac equation incorporates the speed of light through the use of the gamma matrices, which represent the four-dimensional nature of spacetime. These matrices have a special property that ensures that the equation is Lorentz invariant, meaning that it remains unchanged under transformations between different reference frames.

3. Is the speed of light a limiting factor in the Dirac theory?

Yes, the speed of light is a limiting factor in the Dirac theory. This means that no particle can travel faster than the speed of light, as described by the equation. This is in line with the theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all particles and information can travel.

4. What implications does the speed of light have on the behavior of particles in Dirac theory?

The speed of light has significant implications on the behavior of particles in Dirac theory. For example, particles with mass cannot reach the speed of light, and instead, their velocity approaches c as their energy increases. Additionally, the speed of light affects the behavior of particles in terms of their interactions and reactions with other particles.

5. Can the speed of light be changed or altered in the context of Dirac theory?

No, the speed of light is a constant in Dirac theory and cannot be changed or altered. It is a fundamental property of the universe and is deeply ingrained in the fabric of spacetime. While the behavior of particles may change depending on their energy levels, the speed of light remains constant and is a critical factor in the equations of Dirac theory.