Why use 1/3 inches instead of 4 inches in this spring problem?

• Thread starter shreddinglicks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the homework statement is that a mass weighing 24 pounds, attached to the end of a spring, stretches it 4 inches. Initially, the mass is released from rest from a point 3 inches above the equilibrium position.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

a mass weighing 24 pounds, attached to the end of a spring, stretches it 4 inches. Initially, the mass is released from rest from a point 3 inches above the equilibrium position

Homework Equations

F = ks

The Attempt at a Solution

24 = k*(1/3)

why is it 1/3 inches and not 4 inches?

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't "1/3 inches"- it is 1/3 feet. What are the units for k? Since k times a distance is equal to a force, k must have units of "force divided by distance". If k has units of "pounds per inch" then "4 inches" would be correct. But if k has units of "pounds per foot" then 4/12= 1/3 feet is correct..

HallsofIvy said:
It isn't "1/3 inches"- it is 1/3 feet. What are the units for k? Since k times a distance is equal to a force, k must have units of "force divided by distance". If k has units of "pounds per inch" then "4 inches" would be correct. But if k has units of "pounds per foot" then 4/12= 1/3 feet is correct..

Ahh, I see. I'm not sure what the units are, these are just some questions assigned by my differential equations teacher. I'll have to ask and verify, but what you said makes sense.

Also, the answer key has initial conditions. x(0) = -1/4 , x'(0) = 0.

Where does that come from?

24 = k*(1/3)
why is it 1/3 inches and not 4 inches?
... yah: I was going to say: why did you write down 1/3 if you don't know what it means?
If you want to use 4", why not use 4"? It's allowed.
If it's part of an answer key, then it's someone elses work: why are you writing down someone elses work? Do it the way you'd do it, and then compare results.

I see this is a math course - in physics, as you just found out, numbers have units to give them physical meaning. You'll have seen this in other examples by now - but it does take a bit of practice to get used to.

Also, the answer key has initial conditions. x(0) = -1/4 , x'(0) = 0.
Comes from the problem statement ... translate those math expressions into English sentences and see. x(0) is x(t) at t=0, and x'(0) is the 1st derivative of x(t) at t=0.

Simon Bridge said:
... yah: I was going to say: why did you write down 1/3 if you don't know what it means?
If you want to use 4", why not use 4"? It's allowed.
If it's part of an answer key, then it's someone elses work: why are you writing down someone elses work? Do it the way you'd do it, and then compare results.

I see this is a math course - in physics, as you just found out, numbers have units to give them physical meaning. You'll have seen this in other examples by now - but it does take a bit of practice to get used to.

Comes from the problem statement ... translate those math expressions into English sentences and see. x(0) is x(t) at t=0, and x'(0) is the 1st derivative of x(t) at t=0.
Yes, I just realized that 1/4 foot is 3 inches. These units are confusing me. I actually did have my work right but the answer key made me think otherwise.

I've taken physics courses, in fact completed all my requirements for physics. My differential equation teacher likes to use random units without telling me what she is using. I get very confused.

The initial problem statement did not include a question - what was the wording of the task?
If you are not told the units, you can use what you like as long you specify at the start.
If you are self-marking it can be tricky, but your teacher appears to have been consistent in the question to use the f-p-s standard units.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot–pound–second_system
Is it possible that your teacher expects you to use this standard when units are not specified - just like others prefer SI (m-k-s) units by default?

Simon Bridge said:
The initial problem statement did not include a question - what was the wording of the task?
If you are not told the units, you can use what you like as long you specify at the start.
If you are self-marking it can be tricky, but your teacher appears to have been consistent in the question to use the f-p-s standard units.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot–pound–second_system
Is it possible that your teacher expects you to use this standard when units are not specified - just like others prefer SI (m-k-s) units by default?

I am going to verify, but it appears to be true.

Related to Why use 1/3 inches instead of 4 inches in this spring problem?

1. Why is the value of s = 1/3?

The value of s = 1/3 is a commonly used approximation for the number 0.3333 which represents one third. This value is often used in mathematical calculations due to its simplicity and convenience.

2. Is the value of s = 1/3 exact?

No, the value of s = 1/3 is an approximation and not an exact value. It is impossible to express one third as a decimal without rounding, as it is a repeating decimal (0.333333...).

3. Why is the value of s = 1/3 commonly used in mathematics?

The value of s = 1/3 is commonly used in mathematics because it is a simple and easy to remember approximation for one third. It is also used in many equations and formulas where one third is a common factor.

4. Are there any other common values that are approximated as s = 1/3?

Yes, s = 1/3 is also commonly used to approximate other numbers that are close to one third, such as 0.333, 0.3333, or 0.33333. It is also used to approximate fractions that are close to one third, such as 2/6, 3/9, or 4/12.

5. Can the value of s = 1/3 be used in all mathematical calculations?

No, the value of s = 1/3 should only be used as an approximation and not for exact calculations. It may lead to errors in more complex calculations and it is always recommended to use the exact value of one third (1/3) if possible.