Why Use a Bi-Doublet Scalar Field (2,2) Under SU(2)L x SU(2)R?

• Thread starter btphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
L. Marateck, Ph. D.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a bi-doublet scalar field (2,2) under SU(2)L x SU(2)R and its compatibility with group theory. The possibility of having scalar fields that are doublets under both groups is questioned, but it is explained that this is necessary for the massless fermions in the model. This is supported by the invariance group SU_L(2) x SU_R(2) of the interacting theory of massless nucleon and mesons.
btphysics
Hello,

why one can use a bi-doublet scalar field (2,2) under SU(2)L x SU(2)R ? In terms of group theory, we should have only triplets (3,1) or (1,3) since 2 x 2=3+1 ? But in left right symmetric models, indeed yukawa coupling are formed with bi-doublet scalars.

Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know about such models, but in either case individually one can have SU(2) doublet scalar fields, e.g. the Standard Model Higgs doublet, so why couldn't you have scalars which are doublets under both groups?

The only problem is that in terms of group theory representation, for me, that does not makes sense.

btphysics said:
Hello,

why one can use a bi-doublet scalar field (2,2) under SU(2)L x SU(2)R ? In terms of group theory, we should have only triplets (3,1) or (1,3) since 2 x 2=3+1 ? But in left right symmetric models, indeed yukawa coupling are formed with bi-doublet scalars.

Best regards

This is very much SM question. So, this thread should be moved to particle physics sub-forums.

As for the answer, recall that in the interacting theory of massless nucleon and mesons, we introduce the following [itex]8 \times 8[/itex] matrix of meson fields
[tex]\Phi ( x ) = I_{ 8 \times 8 } \ \sigma ( x ) + i \gamma_{ 5 } \tau_{ i } \pi_{ i } ( x ) ,[/tex]
where [itex]\sigma ( x )[/itex] is an iso-scalar in the [itex][1][/itex] representation of [itex]SU(2)[/itex] and [itex]\pi_{ i } ( x )[/itex] is an iso-vector in the [itex][3][/itex] representation of [itex]SU(2)[/itex]. We couple this to the nucleon field [itex]N ( x ) \in \ [2][/itex] by (Yukawa)
[tex]\mathcal{ L }_{ \mbox{int} } = \bar{ N } ( x ) \Phi ( x ) N ( x ) .[/tex]
a) The requirement that [itex]\mathcal{ L }_{ \mbox{int} }[/itex] be invariant under the (vector) [itex]SU(2)[/itex] transformation [itex]U[/itex], implies that
[tex]N ( x ) \rightarrow U N ( x ) , \ \ \ \Phi ( x ) \rightarrow U \Phi ( x ) U^{ \dagger } .[/tex]
b) Since the nucleon in the model is massless, we also demand that [itex]\mathcal{ L }_{ \mbox{int} }[/itex] be invariant under the axial iso-spin transformation [itex]U_{ 5 } = \exp ( i \gamma_{ 5 } \alpha_{ i } \tau_{ i } / 2 )[/itex]. This implies
[tex]N \rightarrow U_{ 5 } N , \ \ \ \Phi \rightarrow U^{ \dagger }_{ 5 } \Phi U^{ \dagger }_{ 5 } .[/tex]
With a bit of algebra we can combine the transformations in (a) and (b) to form the invariance group [itex]SU_{ L } (2) \times SU_{ R }(2)[/itex] of [itex]\mathcal{ L }_{ \mbox{int} }[/itex] as follows
[tex]N_{ R } \rightarrow R N_{ R } ,[/tex]
in the [itex](1 , 2)[/itex] representation of [itex]SU_{ L } (2) \times SU_{ R }(2)[/itex],
[tex]N_{ L } \rightarrow L N_{ L },[/tex]
in the [itex](2 , 1)[/itex] representation, and
[tex]\Phi \rightarrow L \Phi R^{ \dagger },[/tex]
in the [itex](2 , 2)[/itex] representation of [itex]SU_{ L } (2) \times SU_{ R }(2)[/itex].

So, in short, it is the massless (chiral) fermions that require mesons from [itex](2 , 2 )[/itex] representation.

See:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3819325&postcount=6

See also pages 115-121 in the textbook by Ta-Pei Cheng & Ling-Fong Li:
“Gauge Theory of Elementary Particle Physics, Problems and Solutions” , Oxford University Press, 2000.

Sam

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Why Use a Bi-Doublet Scalar Field (2,2) Under SU(2)L x SU(2)R?

1. What is a Bi-Doublet Scalar Field?

A Bi-Doublet Scalar Field is a type of field in theoretical physics that has two scalar fields with different properties, arranged in a doublet, and transforms under both the left and right-handed components of the SU(2) gauge group.

2. Why is the Bi-Doublet Scalar Field (2,2) used under SU(2)L x SU(2)R?

The Bi-Doublet Scalar Field (2,2) is used under SU(2)L x SU(2)R because it allows for the unification of the weak and electromagnetic interactions in the Standard Model of particle physics. The left and right-handed components of the SU(2) gauge group correspond to the weak isospin and weak hypercharge, respectively, and the Bi-Doublet Scalar Field naturally incorporates both of these properties.

3. How does the Bi-Doublet Scalar Field contribute to the Higgs mechanism?

The Bi-Doublet Scalar Field contributes to the Higgs mechanism by providing the necessary scalar fields that give mass to particles in the Standard Model. The Higgs mechanism involves the spontaneous breaking of the SU(2) gauge symmetry, and the Bi-Doublet Scalar Field plays a crucial role in this process.

4. Can the Bi-Doublet Scalar Field (2,2) be extended to other gauge groups?

Yes, the Bi-Doublet Scalar Field (2,2) can be extended to other gauge groups. In fact, the Bi-Doublet Scalar Field (2,2) is just one example of a larger class of fields called bi-fundamental scalar fields, which have the ability to transform under multiple gauge groups simultaneously.

5. What are the potential implications of using the Bi-Doublet Scalar Field (2,2) in theoretical physics?

The use of the Bi-Doublet Scalar Field (2,2) in theoretical physics has many potential implications. One of the most significant is its role in the unification of the fundamental forces of nature, as described by grand unified theories. Additionally, it may also have implications for understanding the nature of dark matter, as some models incorporate the Bi-Doublet Scalar Field in their explanations for the origin of dark matter.