Why Use Cv in a Polytropic Process?

In summary, the question is asking for the entropy change of Nitrogen in a piston-cylinder device as it undergoes a polytropic process with a constant PV^1.3 value and a final volume of half the initial volume. The use of specific heat constants in the solution may be due to the process being divided into constant-volume and constant-pressure parts or the use of the equation for internal energy for an ideal gas.
Stonescar

Homework Statement

A piston-cylinder device contains 1.2kg Nitrogen gas at 120 kPa and 300K. The gas is now compresses slowly in a polytropic process during which PV^1.3 = constant.
The process ends when the volume is reduced by one-half.
Determine the entropy change of Nitrogen during this process.

My question here is about what specific heat constant to use.

Homework Equations

I thought i had to use Cv when the volume is constant.
And Cp when the pressure was constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

As I can see, in this process. Neither the pressure or the volume is constant?
But in the solution provided, tey are using the Cv .
Why is that? The volume did get reduced by one-half:confused:

Im new to Thermodynamics, and not very good at it..
But this is confusing me. Can someone explain this to me? How to know when to use what constant :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could the process have been divided into constant-volume and constant-pressure parts to simplify? This is a common strategy. But it's hard to say without seeing the solution.

Another possibility is that the constant-volume specific heat is being used in the equation for internal energy for an ideal gas,

[tex]E=mc_VT+E_0[/tex]

which is always true (and can be used to find the change in internal energy of an ideal gas for any process if one knows the change in temperature).

Related to Why Use Cv in a Polytropic Process?

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, temperature, energy, and work.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is measured experimentally by using a calorimeter, which measures the change in temperature of a substance when a known amount of heat is added or removed.

How does specific heat impact thermodynamics?

Specific heat is an important factor in thermodynamics because it determines the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a substance. It also helps to calculate the amount of energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or phase change.