Why Use Distilled Water in Enzyme Reactions?

In summary, temperature has a significant effect on enzymes. Enzymes have an optimal temperature at which they work most efficiently, and deviations from this temperature can result in changes to their structure and activity. At high temperatures, enzymes can become denatured, causing a loss of activity and ultimately leading to their breakdown. Temperature can also affect enzyme activity by altering the rate of enzyme-substrate collisions and changing the enzyme's shape. The optimal temperature for enzyme activity varies, but for enzymes found in the human body, it is around 37 degrees Celsius. Temperature also plays a crucial role in the rate of enzyme-catalyzed reactions, with an increase in temperature leading to an increase in reaction rate up to the optimal temperature, beyond which the rate
lha08

Homework Statement

I have a lab tomorrow and it says it my lab book, and it says to add distilled water to a reaction consisting of the substrate then another one with the enzyme...i don't get it what's the purpose of distilled water...i really don't understand.
Thanks..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your description of what you have to do is so vague frankly I don't think anyone can tell you from that.

Related to Why Use Distilled Water in Enzyme Reactions?

What is the effect of temperature on enzymes?

The effect of temperature on enzymes is that it can affect their activity and function. Enzymes have an optimal temperature at which they work most efficiently, and deviations from this temperature can result in changes to their structure and activity.

What happens to enzymes at high temperatures?

At high temperatures, enzymes can become denatured. This means that the enzyme's structure changes, causing it to no longer function properly. Denaturation can result in a loss of enzyme activity and ultimately lead to the breakdown of the enzyme.

How does temperature affect enzyme activity?

Temperature can affect enzyme activity by altering the rate of enzyme-substrate collisions and changing the enzyme's shape. As temperature increases, enzyme activity also increases up to a certain point (the optimal temperature). After this point, further increases in temperature can decrease enzyme activity or completely halt it due to denaturation.

What is the optimal temperature for enzyme activity?

The optimal temperature for enzyme activity varies depending on the specific enzyme. However, for most enzymes found in the human body, the optimal temperature is around 37 degrees Celsius (98.6 degrees Fahrenheit). This is the normal body temperature of humans, indicating that these enzymes work best at the temperature of the body.

How does temperature affect the rate of enzyme-catalyzed reactions?

Temperature can significantly impact the rate of enzyme-catalyzed reactions. As temperature increases, the rate of reactions also increases up to the optimal temperature. After this point, the rate of reactions decreases due to denaturation. This is because higher temperatures can cause the enzyme and substrate molecules to move faster, increasing their chances of colliding and forming product molecules.