Wick rotation and Minkowski/Euclidean space

In summary, Wick rotation is a mathematical technique that involves rotating the time coordinate in Minkowski space to create a new coordinate system in which the time axis is imaginary. This allows for the use of familiar tools from Euclidean geometry in calculations involving Minkowski space. It is primarily used in quantum field theory to simplify calculations and can be applied to any space-time dimension. Working in Euclidean space has advantages such as the use of powerful mathematical tools and the elimination of certain mathematical difficulties present in Minkowski space. While the Wick rotation is primarily a mathematical tool, it has also been argued to have physical significance in certain models, such as black holes.
Pablo88
Hello, I was wondering why in integrals such as
[tex]
\int d^4k F(k^2)
[/tex]
where [tex] k^2 = (k^0)^2 - |\vec{k}|^2 [/tex] ranges from -∞ to ∞, once the Wick-rotation is performed, we have [tex] -k^2_E = -(k^0_E)^2 - |\vec{k}_E|^2 [/tex] which lies in the (-∞,0) interval ... So, the contribution which lies in the part where [tex] k^2 >0[/tex] it seems that fades away. This function would have even poles. It is still a bit counter-intuitive for me that this part just fades away.

I guess we could shift the space-variables as [tex] \vec{k} \rightarrow \vec{k+k_0} [/tex] so this always lays in the euclidean space so to say. Anyway I am not sure, if this shift is always allowed.

Asides, things get more annoying for me if we have other four-vectors in the function, appart that the loop variable, which are Minkowskian, i.e. [tex] F((k+q)^2,(k-p)^2) [/tex] where [tex] q^2 = m^2, \ p^2 = M^2 [/tex] (both are positive quantities) ...

I find this kind of examples in triangle loops diagrams where the function F(k,q,..) is the form factor, and I this form factor is supposed to be the in the Spacelike or Euclidean region ...

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The reason for this behavior is due to the Wick rotation, which is a mathematical tool used to simplify certain integrals in quantum field theory. When performing a Wick rotation, we are essentially transforming the integral from Minkowski space (with a Lorentzian metric) to Euclidean space (with a Euclidean metric). This is done by rotating the time coordinate from the Minkowski signature (t, x, y, z) to the Euclidean signature (it, x, y, z). This rotation has the effect of changing the sign of the time component, which is why we have -k^2_E in the Euclidean integral.

Now, in the Euclidean space, the allowed range of k_E is from -∞ to ∞, which corresponds to a range of k^2_E from 0 to ∞. This is why the contribution from the region where k^2 > 0 seems to fade away - it is now included in the integral over k_E. This is a consequence of the Wick rotation, and it is a perfectly valid mathematical manipulation.

As for your concerns about shifting the space-variables, this is indeed allowed as long as the integral remains convergent. However, it is not always necessary to do so, as the Wick rotation takes care of this issue.

In the case of other four-vectors in the function, the same principles apply. The Wick rotation will transform all the four-vectors in the function to Euclidean space, and the integral will be over Euclidean variables. As for the form factor, it is indeed supposed to be in the Euclidean region, as this is where the Wick rotation takes us.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Happy researching!

Related to Wick rotation and Minkowski/Euclidean space

What is Wick rotation and how does it relate to Minkowski and Euclidean space?

Wick rotation is a mathematical technique used to relate the concepts of Minkowski and Euclidean space. It involves rotating the time coordinate in Minkowski space to create a new coordinate system in which the time axis is imaginary. This allows for the use of familiar tools from Euclidean geometry in calculations involving Minkowski space.

Why is the Wick rotation used in quantum field theory?

The Wick rotation is used in quantum field theory because it simplifies the calculations involved in perturbative expansions. In Minkowski space, the time axis is a real number, which can lead to divergent integrals. By rotating to Euclidean space, the time coordinate becomes imaginary and these divergences are eliminated, making calculations more manageable.

Can the Wick rotation be applied to any space-time dimension?

Yes, the Wick rotation can be applied to any space-time dimension. It is not limited to the four dimensions of Minkowski space. In fact, it is commonly used in higher dimensions in string theory and other areas of theoretical physics.

What are the advantages of working in Euclidean space over Minkowski space?

One advantage of working in Euclidean space is that it allows for the use of powerful mathematical tools and techniques from Euclidean geometry, such as complex analysis and Fourier transforms. Additionally, the rotation to Euclidean space eliminates certain mathematical difficulties, such as divergent integrals, that are present in Minkowski space.

Is the Wick rotation a physical process or simply a mathematical tool?

The Wick rotation is primarily a mathematical tool, used to simplify calculations in theoretical physics. However, it has also been argued that the concept of imaginary time has physical significance in certain models, such as black holes, and that the Wick rotation could potentially have physical consequences in these cases.

Back