Wilcox "Basic fluid mechanics"

In summary, the conversation revolves around books on viscous flow and turbulence. The main book being discussed is White's "viscous fluid flow", but the person asking the question is considering using Wilcox's book as well. Other suggested books include "Transport Phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, and "Fluid Mechanics" by White, Batchelor, and Landau. The participants also mention using CFD and their personal experiences with these books.
onestudent
Hi,
I was wondering if anybody has some experience with the mentioned book?
I am to take a course in viscous flow and turbulence, and we are supposed to use White's "viscous fluid flow". I always like having a 2nd book, and I am considering Wilcox.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it appears Fluids is a field not so big in this forum, which is a shame. That's awesome that you're taking a course in such a awesome field. From what I can gather, Wilcox's book is one of many introductions out there. I haven't seen a TOC but I think it is a good choice given the reviews. I'm thinking it might be too basic for some of the finer things but it'll be a good supplement and refresher.

When I was doing research for a project on Tesla's turbine/pump I used White, Batchelor, and Landau's Fluid Mechanics with some CFD to much success.

I like Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. The first third of this book covers fluid mechanics very fundamentally, while the second and third sections cover heat transfer and mass transfer. This is a widely used text that has stood the test of time.

Likes dextercioby
Thanks for answering, guys!
I got Wilcox now, and I'll try your suggestions if White+Wilcox does not work.

Related to Wilcox "Basic fluid mechanics"

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, behave and interact with each other and with their surroundings. It involves understanding the fundamental principles and equations that govern the motion and flow of fluids.

What is Wilcox "Basic fluid mechanics"?

Wilcox "Basic fluid mechanics" is a textbook written by David R. Wilcox that provides an introduction to the fundamentals of fluid mechanics. It covers topics such as fluid properties, fluid statics, fluid dynamics, and control volume analysis.

How is fluid mechanics applied in the real world?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications in various fields, including engineering, geology, meteorology, and biology. It is used to design and optimize systems such as pumps, turbines, and aircraft wings. It also helps in understanding natural phenomena such as weather patterns and ocean currents.

What are the basic principles of fluid mechanics?

The basic principles of fluid mechanics include continuity, momentum, and energy equations, which describe the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy in a fluid. Other important principles include viscosity, pressure, and buoyancy.

What are some common misconceptions about fluid mechanics?

One common misconception about fluid mechanics is that fluids always flow in a smooth and steady manner. However, fluids can also exhibit chaotic and turbulent behavior. Another misconception is that the viscosity of a fluid is always constant, when in reality it can vary depending on the temperature and pressure.