Will 22 AWG 17 Strand Wire Work In My Crimp Connector?

• Thread starter roeb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire Work
In summary, it is likely that the 22 awg 17 strand wire will work with the crimp connector, as long as the gauge is within the specified range. However, for a mission-critical application, it is recommended to also double-crimp and/or solder the connection for added security.
roeb
I have a crimp connector that currently works with 22 awg 7 strand wire. Does anyone have any insight on whether or not 22 awg 17 strand wire would work? I would like to just test it but I don't want to drop $30 on wire that won't work. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't but perhaps someone can verify this? (the datasheet specifies stranded 18-22 awg, but doesn't seem to indicate the amount of strands)

Engineering news on Phys.org
It should work fine. If this is a mission-critical application you should be double-crimping and/or soldering anyway.

negitron said:
It should work fine. If this is a mission-critical application you should be double-crimping and/or soldering anyway.

Agreed on both counts. The crimping itself should depend solely upon the gauge, not the number of strands. Soldering is always better than a mere crimp, though.

FAQ: Will 22 AWG 17 Strand Wire Work In My Crimp Connector?

1. Will 22 AWG 17 Strand Wire work in my crimp connector?

Yes, it should work as long as the crimp connector is designed for 22 AWG wire. The 17 strands may make it slightly thicker, so you may need to apply more force when crimping the connector.

2. Can I use a crimp connector for a different gauge wire?

No, it is important to use a crimp connector that is specifically designed for the gauge of wire you are using. Using a crimp connector for a different gauge wire can result in a weak or faulty connection.

3. Is 22 AWG wire thick enough for my application?

It depends on the specific application and the amount of current that will be running through the wire. It is always best to consult a wire gauge chart or consult with an expert to determine the appropriate gauge for your specific needs.

4. Are there any benefits to using 17 strand wire over solid core wire?

There are a few potential benefits to using stranded wire over solid core wire. Stranded wire is more flexible, making it easier to route and bend around corners. It also tends to be more durable as it can withstand bending and twisting without breaking. Additionally, stranded wire may have a lower resistance than solid core wire, which can result in better electrical performance.

5. Can I use a crimp connector without a crimping tool?

No, it is not recommended to use a crimp connector without a crimping tool. A crimping tool is specifically designed to properly secure the wire and connector together, ensuring a strong and reliable connection. Using other tools or methods may result in a weak or faulty connection.

Back