Will a sliding box fall over when it stops?

In summary: I think one can model this as moving and then suddenly stopping when sticking occurs (if not there will still be sliding.) What happens to the kinetic energy? I believe it becomes rotational kinetic energy about the leading corner of the block that acts as a pivot.
Referring to #33, I followed a different route. Starting from
##\ddot\phi(\frac 13-(\mu \sin(\phi)- \cos(\phi))\cos(\phi))=(\mu \sin(\phi)- \cos(\phi))(1-{\dot\phi}^2\sin(\phi)))## and with ##\dot \phi =0##,
I got ##\ddot\phi=\frac{\mu \sin(\phi)- \cos(\phi)}{\frac 13-(\mu \sin(\phi)- \cos(\phi))\cos(\phi)}## which I plotted for two "typical" values of ##\mu## (see below). From the plots it is clear that the condition must be ##\mu \sin(\phi) > \cos(\phi)##. Specifically, additional plots (not shown) indicate that the denominator stays positive for ##\mu## less than about 4/3 which is above what one would expect for blocks sliding on surfaces. So I think that's it.

PhiDDot.png

Attachments

• PhiDDot.png
    PhiDDot.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 297
Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
I plotted for two "typical" values of μ
Yes, it looks sort of reasonable for those, except why does it peak for μ=1 and φ<π/2?
And it gets really weird for larger μ. Try μ=1.6.

I was incommunicado for several days because of hardware problems. I thought about this some more and here is what I have.
haruspex said:
Ahem.. correcting my algebra..

For the condition for starting/continuing to tip we can take ##\dot\phi=0## and ##\ddot\phi>0##.
Will also assume φ≤π/2, since the development in post 18 might be invalid else.
From the equation in post #18:
##(\frac 13-(\mu\sin(\phi)-\cos(\phi))\cos(\phi))(\mu\sin(\phi)-\cos(\phi))>0##
Writing ##\mu=\tan(\alpha)## we can break this into two cases.
1. ##\mu\sin(\phi)>\cos(\phi)## (i.e. φ+α>π/2)
##\frac 13>(\tan(\alpha)\sin(\phi)-\cos(\phi))\cos(\phi)##
##\frac 23>\tan(\alpha)\sin(2\phi)-1-\cos(2\phi)##
##\frac 53>\tan(\alpha)\sin(2\phi)-\cos(2\phi)##
##5\cos(\alpha)>3(\sin(\alpha)\sin(2\phi)-\cos(\alpha)\cos(2\phi))##
##5\cos(\alpha)+3\cos(\alpha+2\phi)>0##
Looks weird, but..
2. φ+α<π/2
As above but with all inequalities reversed. I'd say the conclusion for this case is it can't happen.

Still looks mighty strange...
Case 1 is always the case if there is to be tipping. Here is the reason. Suppose the block is just sliding with friction but not tipping, like a book sliding across a table on its cover. The torque equation about the CM is ##\mu N h-Ns=0##. Here ##s## is the distance from the point vertically below the CM to the point where the ##N## acts on the block. As ##\mu## increases, ##s## must increase to compensate. However ##s## cannot increase past ##w## the half width of the base. At the threshold, ##\mu N h-Nw=0##. Tipping occurs if ##w## is less that the threshold value, ##w<\mu h##. Let ##\phi_0## be the angle between ##A## and the horizontal. Then ##\cos(\phi_0)=w/A## and ##\sin(\phi_0)=h/A##. The tipping condition becomes ##\cos(\phi_0)<\mu \sin(\phi_0)## or ##\mu \sin(\phi_0)-\cos(\phi_0)>0.## Thus if the condition is satisfied and the block starts tipping, ##\phi## increases and ##\mu \sin(\phi)-\cos(\phi)>0## remains positive since the sine increases and the cosine decreases but remains positive for ##\phi_0<\phi<\pi/2##. Now since the numerator is always positive, one has to ensure that the denominator be also positive.
##\frac 13>(\tan(\alpha)\sin(\phi)-\cos(\phi))\cos(\phi)##
##\frac 13>\frac{(\sin(\alpha)\sin(\phi)-\cos(\phi)\cos(\alpha))}{cos(\alpha)}\cos(\phi)##
##\cos(\phi+\alpha)\cos(\phi)>-\frac {\cos(\alpha)} {3}.##

Last edited: