Will Canadians welcome Bush's upcoming visit to Canada?

• News
  • Thread starter revelator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Canada
In summary: Ivan, please log off of my computer. This is my post.Tsuvan - one of the patriotic ideas/behaviors we've discussed in other threads is the desire fix what is wrong with your country. I'm disappointed with your position.
revelator
As I understand, George Bush is supposed to be headed to Canada sometime before January for his forst state visit.

From talking to other young Canadians, it seems that there is going to be a huge demonstration in Ottawa to protest his visit. Hopefully this will show how welcome he is in Canada, not that I think him or his administration really cares.

I recall reading a line from one of our liberal MPs in the paper, saying that they are hoping that by having Bush come in January, right in the heart of winter, Canadians will discouraged from going to Ottawa to protest. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
revelator said:
...not that I think him or his administration really cares.
Of course he cares. He needs to persuade Canada to provide easier immigration policies for malcontent US citizens. We need a place to dump our post election debris. Were hoping to get rid of most of Hollywood at the very least.

Geniere there's no need to be insulting. And I doubt the winter will dissuade them enough to make a difference, its not like its Saskatchewan.

So is the Supreme Court.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2109410/

Last edited by a moderator:
We need a place to dump our post election debris.

Spoken like a true patriot; Germany, 1933.

"there is going to be a huge demonstration in Ottawa to protest his visit"

To protest the fact that he his visiting, or to protest against his decisions? I think it's a very good thing that he visits Canada, it's about time. I'm all for good US-Canada relations.

GENIERE said:
We need a place to dump our post election debris.
This is a bit closer to the truth:
The cooks have determined that the cheese has gone REALLY bad. We cut all of the mold off and leave it in a nasty pile where the mold began. The remaining mold-free cheese is taken to a clean area of the kitchen to complete the dish. :biggrin:

Were hoping to get rid of most of Hollywood at the very least.
Deal. We'll take the multi-billion dollar industry with us, and you can keep Ahhnold. :!) :smile: After all, you guys NEVER watch movies, right? :smile: :smile:

edit:

DANG! IVAN! PLEASE LOG OFF OF MY COMPUTER WHEN YOU GET DONE WITH IT! THIS IS MY POST!
Love, Tsu :shy:

Last edited:
Whew. I'm me again. :biggrin:

Tsuvan - one of the patriotic ideas/behaviors we've discussed in other threads is the desire fix what is wrong with your country. I'm disappointed with your position.

BTW, what will the Canadians think of your desire to colonize their country, similar to the colonization of the 16-1700s? That's what your cheese analogy suggests...

On the plus side, I've come up with a name for your new country: Tsuvania.

russ_watters said:
Tsuvan - one of the patriotic ideas/behaviors we've discussed in other threads is the desire fix what is wrong with your country. I'm disappointed with your position.
No more than my disappointment with most of your positions, russ. You see, we figure that it will now take 20-30 years to fix the Bush mess. We don't have that kind of time left in our lives and we don't want to spend our last years watching our freedoms being taken away one by one. I'm sorry you can't see it happening. What's worse is that you probably actually agree with what's happening in this country.

BTW, what will the Canadians think of your desire to colonize their country, similar to the colonization of the 16-1700s? That's what your cheese analogy suggests...
Perhaps you haven't been reading this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=51473
They've been very kind and welcoming. If you are referring to the (original)colonization of America, I think the major distinction is that then, we were dealing with the principle of 'freedom of religion'. Now it is more like 'freedom from Bush's religion'. (BTW - I'm Presbyterian, too. :biggrin: Does that make you want to change churches? :smile: :smile:)

On the plus side, I've come up with a name for your new country: Tsuvania.
Yer SICK, russ! :smile: :smile: :smile: Or how 'bout IVANAMILAND! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

russ_watters said:
BTW, what will the Canadians think of your desire to colonize their country, similar to the colonization of the 16-1700s?

might as well finish the job... Canada has been an economic colony of the US since ~WWI

Re Tsu's cheese metaphor, I want to stress that we don't want to Americanize Canada. That would hardly be make sense; all things considered. If I understand her correctly, she was talking about our personal values.

Of course when it comes to the election we really did cut the cheese.

Gonzolo said:
To protest the fact that he his visiting, or to protest against his decisions? I think it's a very good thing that he visits Canada, it's about time. I'm all for good US-Canada relations.

I would imagine to protest his policy, but I am sure there are those that also simply hate him, and don't want him in the country.

Tsunami said:
They've been very kind and welcoming. If you are referring to the (original)colonization of America, I think the major distinction is that then, we were dealing with the principle of 'freedom of religion'. Now it is more like 'freedom from Bush's religion'. (BTW - I'm Presbyterian, too. Does that make you want to change churches? )

Canadian's seem to love getting positive attention from America. That many Americans have expressed a desire to come here, has delighted many Canadians. The thinking among my circle of acquaintance, is that we don't mind (at least its liberals who are trying to come here). We figure the Americans who would come here as a result of Bush winning, are at least politically like-minded. But if'n any Americans do move, I'm hoping it's realized that here in Canada things are also far from perfect.

Last edited:
That everyone has problems is hopefully no secret to those like us considering the jump, but I think we all now better understand how many of us feel about our Canadian neighbors; esp with respect to our most profound and cherished beliefs.

FAQ: Will Canadians welcome Bush's upcoming visit to Canada?

1) Will Bush be making any official appearances while in Canada?

According to the official schedule, Bush is not scheduled to make any official appearances while in Canada.

2) Why is Bush coming to Canada?

Bush is coming to Canada to attend a conference on energy and sustainability in Calgary. He will also be participating in a Q&A session and a book signing event.

3) Will Canadian citizens be able to attend any events with Bush?

Unfortunately, the conference and events with Bush are not open to the general public. Attendees will be limited to invited guests and registered conference participants.

4) Is this Bush's first visit to Canada since leaving office?

No, this is not Bush's first visit to Canada since leaving office. He has made several trips to Canada for speaking engagements and private events.

5) How do Canadians feel about Bush's visit?

Opinions on Bush's visit vary among Canadians. Some welcome the opportunity to hear from a former world leader, while others have expressed criticism and protests against his policies and actions during his presidency.