Will NASA's Future Missions Be Impacted by Funding Challenges?

• Thread starter Zach_C
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of funding for a manned repair mission for the Hubble Space Telescope after the Columbia disaster. There is debate over whether it is worth the potential risk to astronauts and if NASA will be able to continue with missions like this in the future. There is also mention of the success of the HST and how it has influenced future projects.
Zach_C
I recall seeing an article that the funding for men to go to and repair Hubble would not receive funding easily after Columbia. This has prompted an unmanned repair. Have other people heard similar stories? Will NASA be able to do missions like it once did?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is a tough one. The current US administration will accept the deaths of many thousands of humans in the pursuit of "democracy in the Iraq", but is reluctant to allow the Hubble Space Telescope to be serviced by astronauts that are (presumably) eager to do so in a shuttle mission. Such missions are relatively high-profile, and they have a high "public-approval" rating, because real people can see real (or at least color-approximated) images that result from these missions. Which risk is more acceptable?? I can't tell you.

I want to see Hubble live for decades more, but at what (potential) cost? I ride a motorcycle whenever weather permits, and I am routinely tailgated and crowded by idiots in cars and trucks. That does not stop me from riding - it only makes me modify my behavior to reduce the chance that the idiots will kill me. If the astronauts are up for the mission, I think the shuttle to service HST should fly. They are the people who will bear the risk.

Last edited:
The HST, while a huge success, is a little long in the tooth. Among its many accomplishments, it has also shown us how to do a better job at less expense. If it boils down to sacrificing future projects, like JWT, I can understand the decision.

FAQ: Will NASA's Future Missions Be Impacted by Funding Challenges?

1. Why are there no humans onboard shuttles?

The main reason for lack of humans onboard shuttles is due to the high risk involved in space travel. The harsh conditions of space, including exposure to radiation and microgravity, make it dangerous for humans to travel in space for extended periods of time. Additionally, the cost of sending humans into space is much higher compared to unmanned missions, making it more feasible for space agencies to send robotic probes instead of humans.

2. Has there ever been a human onboard a shuttle?

Yes, there have been humans onboard shuttles in the past. The Space Shuttle program, which ran from 1981 to 2011, sent astronauts into space to conduct various missions. However, after the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster in 2003, the program was retired and NASA shifted its focus to unmanned missions.

3. Are there any plans to send humans onboard shuttles in the future?

Yes, there are plans for human space exploration in the future. NASA is currently working on the Artemis program, which aims to send humans back to the Moon by 2024 and eventually to Mars. Private companies like SpaceX and Blue Origin also have plans to send humans to space in the near future.

4. What are the risks associated with sending humans onboard shuttles?

The main risks associated with sending humans onboard shuttles include exposure to radiation, the effects of prolonged microgravity on the human body, and the possibility of accidents or malfunctions during the journey. These risks can have serious consequences on the health and safety of astronauts, making it crucial for space agencies to carefully plan and prepare for human space missions.

5. Can robots perform the same tasks as humans onboard shuttles?

Robotic probes have been successfully used for various space missions, including exploration of other planets and gathering scientific data. However, there are certain tasks that robots are not yet able to perform as efficiently as humans, such as repairing equipment or conducting experiments that require human dexterity. This is why human space exploration is still important and necessary, despite advancements in robotic technology.