Will siphoning continue during free fall in an elevator?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the functioning of a siphon in an elevator that goes into free fall while siphoning from two containers. It is mentioned that the siphon will not work in such a scenario as there needs to be a pressure differential. The conversation also touches upon the concept of apparent weightlessness and how it affects the flow of water in this situation. A comparison is made to water floating around in the cabin on the ISS.
cragar
Lets say I am in an elevator and I start siphoning from 2 containers. And then the elevator goes into free fall after it was already siphoning. I originally thought that it would stop siphoning instantly as it went into free fall. Now I think it will stop a little later. As the siphon is running gravity is doing the work, when it goes into free fall it is like gravity is turned off. So the force is cut but the water has momentum, so will the water flow until the friction causes the water to stop. I am thinking about this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
someone has to have something on this.

The siphon will not work in such a scenario. There has to be a pressure differential at the top of the inverted U for it to function. So yes, it will only work until frictional losses consume all the (kinetic)energy.

I agree. In free fall objects experience apparent weightlessness. The water would not run out of the hole in the bottom of the container.
I have seen film taken on the ISS and water is seen to 'float around' in the cabin

Yes, you are thinking about this correctly. When the elevator is in free fall, gravity is essentially turned off and the force that was causing the siphoning to occur is no longer present. However, as you mentioned, the water will still have momentum and will continue to flow until friction or other external forces act upon it and eventually bring it to a stop. This is because objects in motion tend to stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, the siphoning will not stop instantly, but will gradually slow down and eventually come to a stop.

Related to Will siphoning continue during free fall in an elevator?

1. What is siphoning?

Siphoning is a process that involves transferring liquids from one container to another by using the force of gravity. This is achieved by creating a vacuum in a tube or hose and allowing the liquid to flow from a higher point to a lower point.

2. How does siphoning work?

Siphoning works through the principle of atmospheric pressure. When a tube or hose is filled with liquid and the end is submerged in a container of liquid at a lower level, the weight of the liquid in the tube creates a vacuum, causing the liquid to flow from the higher container to the lower one.

3. What materials are needed for siphoning?

To siphon, you will need a tube or hose, a container to siphon from and a container to siphon into. The tube or hose should be long enough to reach from the higher container to the lower one. You may also need a pump or your mouth to create the initial vacuum.

4. Can you siphon any type of liquid?

Siphoning can be used for a wide range of liquids, including water, gasoline, and even thicker liquids like oil. However, it is important to note that siphoning should not be used with toxic or hazardous liquids, as it can be dangerous and cause harm.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when siphoning?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to take when siphoning. First, make sure to use a clean tube or hose and avoid using your mouth to create the initial vacuum. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as gloves, when handling potentially hazardous liquids. Finally, make sure to dispose of the siphoned liquid properly and avoid inhaling any fumes.