Will the burglars be apprehended by the police who are located 20 seconds away?

• Thread starter remk27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Seconds
In summary, the problem involves skilled burglars attempting to lower a safe filled with gold, weighing one metric ton, out of a window using 1990 kg of office furniture and a rope over a pulley. The success of their plan depends on whether they can lower the safe onto a truck before the police arrive, given that the furniture moves with a constant velocity and there is a friction force between the furniture and the floor. To solve this problem, we must use Newton's laws of motion and the equation d=1/2at^2 to analyze the forces acting on the system and determine if the safe and furniture will reach the truck before the police arrive.
remk27

Homework Statement

Skilled burglars have broken into a prosperous Swiss bank with the
intent of stealing a safe filled with gold. The entire safe, i.e. safe
and gold, weighs one metric ton. The burglars managed to find the
safe and they brought it to a large floor-to-ceiling window. Their
plan is to lower the safe 10.0 m onto a flat-bed truck. To this end:
they stack up 1990 kg of office furniture; tie a rope between the
safe and the furniture; place the rope over a pulley; and lower the
safe out the window

We are to assume that the furniture moves with a
constant velocity and μ^k= 0.35 between the furniture and the floor.

Will the burglars be apprehended by the police who are located 20 seconds away if at the moment they begin to lower the safe the police are notified?

Homework Equations

I honestly don't know how to even approach this question, and am unsure of what equation to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of how to attempt a solution because I'm not exactly sure how to approach this problem. If someone could help walk me through this and explain where to begin, it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't want to be given the answer, because that doesn't help me on the test. But an equation and an explanation as to how the equation applies to this problem would be awesome! Then I can post an attempted solution, and any additional assistance (should I be incorrect) can be provided.

Anyone willing to help me get started with this doozie of a problem would be helping me a ton!

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to approach problems with a logical and systematic approach. In this case, we can use the principles of Newton's laws of motion to analyze the situation.

The first thing we need to do is to draw a free body diagram of the safe and the furniture. This will help us identify all the forces acting on the system. We can then use Newton's second law, F=ma, to calculate the net force acting on the system.

Next, we need to consider the forces acting on the safe and the furniture as they are being lowered. The force of gravity will be pulling the safe and furniture downward, while the tension in the rope will be pulling them upward. We also need to take into account the friction force between the furniture and the floor, which is given by μ^k= 0.35.

Using these forces, we can calculate the net force acting on the system and determine if it is accelerating or moving at a constant velocity. If the net force is zero, the safe and furniture will be moving at a constant velocity. If the net force is non-zero, then the safe and furniture will be accelerating.

Once we have determined the acceleration of the safe and furniture, we can use the equation d=1/2at^2 to calculate the distance the safe and furniture will travel in 20 seconds. If the distance is greater than 10.0m, then the burglars will not be able to lower the safe onto the truck before the police arrive.

I hope this helps you get started on solving this problem. Remember to always approach problems with a systematic and logical approach, and to use the principles of physics to analyze the situation. Good luck!

Related to Will the burglars be apprehended by the police who are located 20 seconds away?

1. Will the police always be able to apprehend burglars who are 20 seconds away?

No, there are many factors that can affect whether or not the police are able to apprehend burglars. It depends on the availability of police officers, the location of the burglary, and other ongoing emergencies that may take priority.

2. How do the police determine the location of burglars who are 20 seconds away?

The police use various methods to determine the location of burglars, such as tracking their movements through surveillance cameras, receiving tips from witnesses, or using GPS technology on stolen items.

3. Are the police always able to respond within 20 seconds to apprehend burglars?

No, it is not always possible for the police to respond within 20 seconds. Response time depends on the availability of officers and the nature of the emergency. In some cases, the police may take longer than 20 seconds to arrive at the scene.

4. How likely is it for burglars to be apprehended by the police who are located 20 seconds away?

It is difficult to determine the likelihood of apprehension without knowing specific details about the burglary, such as the time of day and the location. However, having police located 20 seconds away can greatly increase the chances of apprehension as they are able to respond quickly.

5. What happens if the police are unable to apprehend the burglars within 20 seconds?

If the police are unable to apprehend the burglars within 20 seconds, they will continue to investigate the crime and gather evidence to identify and track down the suspects. The 20-second time frame is not a guarantee of apprehension, but rather a measure of the proximity of the police to the location of the burglary.

Back