Will the Car Stop in Time to Avoid Hitting the Child in the School Zone?

In summary, the question asks if a driver traveling at 40km/h in a school zone with a reaction time of 0.50s will be able to stop before hitting a child who crosses 13m in front of the car. Using the equations for distance and time, it is determined that the car will only travel 7.7m before stopping, which will take 1.4s. However, when accounting for the reaction time and the stopping distance, it is found that the car will travel 7.45m and will not be able to stop before hitting the child.
rafael_josem
Hi, I need help with the following problem...

The speed limit of a school zone is 40km/h. A Driver driving at this speed sees a child that crosses the street 13m in front of the car. He applies the brakes and desacelerates at 8m/s^2. If the reaction time of the driver is 0.50s, will the car stop before it hits the child?

I did this:

40km/h : 11.11m/s

X = v^2 - V0^2/2a
X = 0 - 11.11^2/-16
X = 7.7m <== He drives 7.7m before the car stops.

Now I look for the time that the car will last to stop.

X = (v + v0/2)t
7.7 = (0+11.11/2)t
t = 1.4s

Now I add 0.5s + 1.4s = 1.9s

X = (v+v0/2)t
X = (v + 11.11/2)1.9
X = 10.5 M

According to the book, it's wrong...

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Try rearanging your method. You have solved for two different values that physically represent the same thing, i.e. the stopping distance.

Try calculating the time to stop first by using
[tex]V = V_o + a t [/tex]

That will give you your 1.4 seconds to decelerate from the given speed to a stop.

Now take that time (plus distance during the reaction time) and plug and chug with:
[tex]\Delta X = V_o t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

See what you come up with then.

Last edited:
To find the stopping distance, I would say:

t_1 = 0.5s (reaction time)
X = v_0*t_1 + (v^2 - v_0^2)/(2a)

You could also do this in two steps:
X_1 = v_0*t_1
X_2 = (v^2 - v_0^2)/(2a)
X_t = X_1 + X_2

X=Vt >> X=11.11*0.5 = 5.55 which means when the driver put his leg on the brake the distance between the car and the student is 7.45 m and not 13 meter

V^2=2ax >> x= (11.11^2)/(2*8) = 7.71 which means that the car will move 7.71 meter to stop, while the distance between the car and a child is less than this amount (7.45<7.71) so the car will hit the child

Related to Will the Car Stop in Time to Avoid Hitting the Child in the School Zone?

1. What is car deceleration?

Car deceleration refers to the rate at which a car slows down or decreases its speed. It is a measure of the change in velocity over time, typically expressed in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is car deceleration calculated?

Car deceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect car deceleration?

Several factors can affect car deceleration, including the car's weight, the condition of the brakes, the road surface, and the presence of other external forces such as wind or inclines. The car's speed and the amount of time it takes for the driver to react can also impact deceleration.

4. How can car deceleration be improved?

To improve car deceleration, it is important to regularly maintain the car's brakes and tires to ensure they are functioning properly. Additionally, driving at a safe speed and maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles can help reduce the need for sudden deceleration. Practicing defensive driving techniques can also improve reaction time and decrease the risk of accidents.

5. What is the difference between deceleration and negative acceleration?

Deceleration and negative acceleration both refer to a decrease in velocity, but they are not the same thing. Deceleration specifically refers to a decrease in speed, while negative acceleration can also refer to a change in direction or a decrease in both speed and direction. In other words, deceleration is a type of negative acceleration, but not all negative acceleration is deceleration.