Will the kinetic energy operator change with a variable shift?

In summary: Therefore, the kinetic energy operator will produce the same result regardless of the variable change.In summary, the conversation discusses a variable change in the Hamiltonian operator, specifically for the kinetic energy operator. The change involves replacing ##\theta## with ##(\theta + k)##, where ##k## is a constant. The conversation raises a question about the results of the old and new operators operating on a function. It is determined that the operators will produce the same result, regardless of the variable change, as long as the correct inertia value is used.
Konte
Hello everybody,

A special problem constrain me to make a variable change in my Hamiltonian operator, so with the kinetic energy operator, I have a doubt.
The variable change is: ## \theta \longrightarrow (\theta + k) ## (where ##k## is a constant).
And the kinetic energy operator change as :
$$ \hat{T}_{old}=\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^2} \,\, \longrightarrow \,\, \hat{T}_{new}=\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial}{\partial (\theta+k)^2} $$

When ##\hat{T}_{old}## and ##\hat{T}_{new}## operate respectively onto a function, say ##\psi(\theta)##, will I have two different results?Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##\theta## is an angular variable, such as the ##\theta## in cylindrical coordinates, then that is not the correct expression of kinetic energy. If ##\theta## is a normal cartesian position coordinate, then those operators produce the same result when operating on a function, as you can deduce from the equation ##\frac{d}{d\theta} = \frac{d(\theta+k)}{d\theta}\frac{d}{d(\theta + k)}=\frac{d}{d(\theta + k)}##

Likes Konte
This hamiltonian is for a plane rotator (polar coordinate whith fixed-##r##). I should have mentioned inertia ##I## instead of mass ##m##.
So it is about an angular variable ##\theta##. Is something change with respect to your answer in the Cartesian coordinate case?

Thanks.

Yes, if you use ##I## instead of ##m##, the expression is correct. The derivative ##\frac{d}{d\theta}## is equal to ##\frac{d}{d(\theta + k)}## for any variable ##\theta## and constant ##k##.

Likes Konte

FAQ: Will the kinetic energy operator change with a variable shift?

What is the kinetic energy operator?

The kinetic energy operator is a mathematical representation of the amount of energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

How is the kinetic energy operator calculated?

The kinetic energy operator is calculated by taking the product of an object's mass and the square of its velocity, and then dividing by two. This is represented mathematically as KE = (1/2)mv^2.

What is the significance of the kinetic energy operator in physics?

The kinetic energy operator is significant in physics because it is a fundamental concept in the study of motion and energy. It helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion and how energy is transferred between them.

How does the kinetic energy operator relate to other energy forms?

The kinetic energy operator is closely related to other forms of energy, such as potential energy. When an object is in motion, it possesses kinetic energy. This energy can be converted into other forms, such as potential energy, depending on the system and forces acting on the object.

Can the kinetic energy operator be negative?

Yes, the kinetic energy operator can be negative. This typically occurs when an object is losing energy, such as when it is decelerating or moving in the opposite direction of a force. However, in most cases, the kinetic energy operator is positive as objects are typically gaining energy due to their motion.