Will Theorists Ever Earn as Much as Applied Scientists?

In summary: It's about the satisfaction of having your ideas validated and being able to do something with them. If you're not satisfied with the money you're making, then you should reconsider your career.
flyingpig
Will there be a day when theorists (not applied scientists) make as much money as applied scientists?

So what do I mean by that?

Will biologists ever make as much money as doctors, surgeons, and psychiatrists?

Will physicists ever make as much money as engineers?

Will chemists ever make as much money as pharmacists?

Oh and I am just asking this because my parents and grandparents looks down on me because I don't make as much money as my brother whom has not even been pass high school and is working as a translator and is making more than I am...

He is also better in sports than I am...sigh

Physics news on Phys.org

flyingpig said:
Will there be a day when theorists (not applied scientists) make as much money as applied scientists?

Will biologists ever make as much money as doctors, surgeons, and psychiatrists?

Will physicists ever make as much money as engineers?

Will chemists ever make as much money as pharmacists?

No, certainly not any time soon anyway. Supply and demand is one reason.

No, not unless you adopt a communism similar to Soviet. Theorists aren't well paid since everyone benefits from their discoveries anyways so there is no capitalist reason to do it for companies and the State sees quantity as more important than quality which is reasonable since you won't get much more quality by paying theorists more.

Klockan3 said:
No, not unless you adopt a communism similar to Soviet. Theorists aren't well paid since everyone benefits from their discoveries anyways so there is no capitalist reason to do it for companies and the State sees quantity as more important than quality which is reasonable since you won't get much more quality by paying theorists more.

What about World War II? Huge demand for chemists? I am sure Oppenheimer was quite wealthly?

If there was a World War III, you think this might change?

flyingpig said:
What about World War II? Huge demand for chemists? I am sure Oppenheimer was quite wealthly?

If there is a sudden, unexplained, hyper-demand for a particular brand of science, then yes, clearly the salary will go up. I'd bet on this never happening. Suggesting something like world war III as a hope that you might be able to make a good wage is ludicrous. You've taken part in enough threads on this forum to know that you don't go into science for money - if you're that concerned about your families perception of you based on your wages, go into law or medicine - then I can as-good-as guarantee that you'll be making the same money as those doctors and you don't have to hope for a world war.

Also, no, many famous scientists back-when were not wealthy. Depending on your baseline, you could point out that many famous scientists today are not 'wealthy' (though my career potential earnings are much less than six figures and I'm satisfied that I'm well-off) - it would take one man solving all of the worlds problems for a scientist to be paid movie-star salaries for instance.

flyingpig said:
If there is a World War III, no-one will care anymore. Be very careful what you hope for.

It is true that historically those who dabble with theory never make much money, but it's not about the money.

Related to Will Theorists Ever Earn as Much as Applied Scientists?

1. Will there ever be a day when theoretical scientists make as much money as applied scientists?

It is difficult to predict the future, but currently, there is a significant pay gap between theoretical and applied scientists. This is due to the fact that applied scientists often work in industries that have a direct impact on society and therefore, their work is highly valued. However, as technology and research advancements continue to grow, it is possible that the pay gap could narrow in the future.

2. Why do theoretical scientists typically make less money than applied scientists?

Theoretical scientists often work in academic settings and their research may not have immediate practical applications. As a result, their work may not be as highly valued in terms of monetary compensation compared to applied scientists who directly contribute to industries and innovations.

3. Could the pay gap between theoretical and applied scientists change in the near future?

It is possible that the pay gap could change in the future as the value and impact of theoretical research becomes more recognized. Additionally, there has been a growing trend towards interdisciplinary research, which could lead to a more equal distribution of funding and compensation for both theoretical and applied scientists.

4. Do theoretical scientists have the potential to earn as much as applied scientists?

The potential for theoretical scientists to earn as much as applied scientists depends on various factors such as the field of study, the impact of their research, and the demand for their expertise. While there may be some instances where theoretical scientists can earn as much as applied scientists, it is unlikely to be a widespread trend.

5. Are there any benefits to being a theoretical scientist despite the pay gap?

Yes, there are many benefits to being a theoretical scientist, such as the intellectual fulfillment of pursuing new knowledge and understanding the fundamental principles of the universe. Theoretical research also allows for more creativity and exploration, as there may be less pressure to produce immediate practical results. Additionally, theoretical scientists often have more flexibility in their work schedule and may have the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse range of experts in their field.