Will we go the the past if we could go faster than speed of light?

In summary: You can't go faster than light, and according to the equation t' = t√(1 - v2/c2), if you could, your age wouldn't be multiplied by a negative factor, it would be multiplied by an imaginary factor! :smile:Time is described as going from a state of less entropy to more entropy. Or from hot to cold in energy-temperature terms.
altairz
On a forum I read that we don't know what would happen if we went faster than speed of light. On a video, I heard that we would go to the past if we went faster than c.

Im confused, what is right?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
altairz said:
On a forum I read that we don't know what would happen if we went faster than speed of light. On a video, I heard that we would go to the past if we went faster than c.

Im confused, what is right?

Hi altairz! :wink:

It's all rubbish!

We can't go faster than light, and according to the equation t' = t√(1 - v2/c2), if we could, our age wouldn't be multiplied by a negative factor, it would be multiplied by an imaginary factor! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi altairz! :wink:

It's all rubbish!

We can't go faster than light, and according to the equation t' = t√(1 - v2/c2), if we could, our age wouldn't be multiplied by a negative factor, it would be multiplied by an imaginary factor! :smile:

thanks for answer :).. But what do you really mean with imaginary factor :p? ( sorry, I'm new to physics :P )

I mean that the time-dilation factor √(1 - v2/c2) becomes the square-root of a negative number, and is therefore imaginary. :smile:

"Time" is described as going from a state of less entropy to more entropy. Or from hot to cold in energy-temperature terms.I am not really sure what velocity (light speed) has to do with that.

For something with mass to travel at c, it would have to have infinite density. That is why the photon is massless.

Draw a diagram of time vs distance. Normally this is done with axes of years (vertical, time, both pos and neg.) and lightyears (horizontal, distance).
At a speed of c the graph is at 45deg. One lightyear traveled in one year. when extended in both horizontal directions this is called a light cone. It indicates the area inside which physical processes from the source can be experienced. Outside the cone is forbidden by Special relativity.
At 2c the graph is at 26deg, but still positive time.

To get to horizontal you need infinite speed. You can never go negative.

Travel in time is a function of a spacetime geometries that allow for such travel, not velocity. For speed to be a factor, you would need to be one of a two cosmic string whipping past each other, and even then the result wouldn't be as desired.

I can imagine that you move faster than speed of light, like you are at point A and after 1 sec point B (2*c distance) .. etc. which is a purely imagination. Then you will see the Earth event moving backward, on which I am sure.

IF and this is a rather big IF, you cold travel faster than light, people say you will go back in time because-
Lets take a scenario. The year is 2010, yes? Let's say there is an outpost 42 light years away from Earth. If i get on a ship that can travel 42c, I will reach that outpost in 2011, yes? But, if (here we go again) I take a huge telescope and take a peek at the moon, I will see the light that reflected off the Apollo Mission in 1969... so have I traveled back in time?

No, because the year is still 2011. However, I can see past events, as I have overtaken the 'messenger' who 'delivered' the 'message'

Related to Will we go the the past if we could go faster than speed of light?

1. Will we actually be able to go faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the absolute speed limit of the universe. It is currently believed that it is impossible for any object with mass to reach or exceed the speed of light.

2. If we could go faster than the speed of light, would we go back in time?

No, even if we were able to travel faster than the speed of light, we would not be able to go back in time. Time travel is a concept that is still theoretical and has not been proven to be possible.

3. What would happen if we were to travel faster than the speed of light?

If it were possible to travel faster than the speed of light, it would violate the laws of physics as we currently understand them. This could potentially have unpredictable consequences and is therefore not considered a feasible scenario.

4. Could we use the theory of relativity to travel to the past?

No, the theory of relativity does not allow for travel to the past. It only explains how time and space are affected by an object's speed and mass, but it does not provide a means for traveling backwards in time.

5. Is time travel possible through other means besides faster-than-light travel?

While time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, there is currently no scientific evidence or theories that suggest it is possible through any means. However, scientists continue to explore different theories and possibilities related to time travel.