Wilson Loop & Spin Network in Physics: Explained

In summary: In physics, a spin network is a topological quantum network. It is a model of a quantum computer, where the nodes are spins and the links are the connections between spins.
marlon
Hi, can anyone give me a clear definition of the following two things

1) Wilson loop
2) Spin network (invented by Penrose, right?)

What do these quantities fysically mean?

PS : can anyone explain me what the term LOOP means in Loop quantum gravity. To what does it refer ?

regards
marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Marlon !

Very intersting issues...that I don't want to pretend I undestand though :wink: But I want to advise you a very good paper on quantum gravity by Carlo Rovelli. This is an entire book, whose draft version is available at :
http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~rovelli/rovelli.html

Anything I could say would be more accurate in this paper. Enjoy ! :-p

humanino said:
Hey Marlon !

Very intersting issues...that I don't want to pretend I undestand though :wink: But I want to advise you a very good paper on quantum gravity by Carlo Rovelli. This is an entire book, whose draft version is available at :
http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~rovelli/rovelli.html

Anything I could say would be more accurate in this paper. Enjoy ! :-p

grazie, humanino

how is life out there in Paris?

je vous en prie Marlon, c'est mon plaisir

Another (shorter) paper
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Loop_quantum_gravity
where one can read :
As a theory of quantum gravity, LQG is the main competitor of string theory, albeit a distant one: stringy people outnumber loopy people by a factor of roughly 10 and stringy papers outnumber loopy papers by a factor of roughly 50.

Should this move to another forum (LQG !)?

Last edited by a moderator:
marlon said:
how is life out there in Paris?
I took one week out of my thesis. Back to Switzerland Jura ! This is also how I come to have time to read useless things such as LQG :-p

Could someone elaborate on Penrose and spin network ? :confused:

I give here the definition of the Wilson loop given by Zinn-Justin in his "QFT & Critical phenomena"

section 33.3 "Wilson's loop and confinement" (p735)
[tex]W(C)=\left\langle e^{-ie \oint_{C} A_\mu(s) ds_\mu } \right\rangle[/tex]
with C a closed loop in space-time. This is a functional integral, and represents the parrallel transporter along the closed loop.

As for spin network :
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Spin_network

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Wilson Loop & Spin Network in Physics: Explained

1. What is a Wilson loop in physics?

A Wilson loop is a mathematical concept used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of gauge fields, such as electromagnetism and the strong nuclear force. It involves tracing the path of a particle as it moves through a closed loop and calculating how the gauge field changes along that path.

2. How is the Wilson loop related to spin networks?

Spin networks are a mathematical representation of the quantum states of particles, and they are often used in conjunction with Wilson loops in quantum field theory. The Wilson loop can be used to calculate the values of certain operators in the spin network, providing valuable information about the properties of the particles.

3. What is the significance of Wilson loops and spin networks in physics?

Wilson loops and spin networks are both important tools in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions in quantum field theory. They allow scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles and to test these predictions through experiments and observations.

4. How are Wilson loops and spin networks used in practical applications?

Wilson loops and spin networks have a wide range of practical applications in physics, including in the study of quantum gravity, quantum chromodynamics, and other areas of particle physics. They are also used in theoretical calculations, such as in the development of new models and theories.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of Wilson loops and spin networks in physics?

While Wilson loops and spin networks are powerful tools, they do have limitations in their applicability. For example, they are most useful in describing the behavior of particles at very small scales, and may not accurately represent the behavior of particles at larger scales. Additionally, they may not be applicable in all situations, and their predictions may need to be combined with other theories and models to fully understand a given phenomenon.