Wilsonian EFTs and regularization

In summary, effective theory requires incorporation of all momentum over all degrees of freedom. If high-momentum fields are integrated out, subsequent calculations should not include those fields.
metroplex021
Hi folks - I have a couple of questions about EFTs that are driving me crazy.

(1 ) Consider first of all a Wilsonian effective Lagrangian - one in which particles of mass >M have been integrated out from a 'full' Lagrangian leaving a string of non-renormalizable interactions amongst the light particles. If we want to make predictions using this theory, we will need to use a renormalization scheme. In so doing, are we
(a) compelled to use a momentum-space regularization, with the cut-off placed at M;
(b) are we forbidden to take this cut-off to infinity, thus committed to viewing spacetime as a lattice?

(I am wondering this because I'm wondering if you can use the Wilson technique for making effective Lagrangians and still have the resulting EFT defined on a continuum. I'm also wondering this because the two kinds of cut off used in the Wilsonian picture - at least as presented in Peskin and Schroeder - seem conceptually distinct: one is telling us which physical particles are going to be relevant at a given energy, the other cutting off the types of virtual particles that might contribute. But maybe these two roles are after all one and the same role.)

(2) Now for a question on dimensional regularization. With a momentum cut-off we can at least make sense of not taking the cut-off to infinity (putting the violence that it does to Poincare invariance and the structure of spacetime). Is there any sense in using dimensional regularization and not going to the d=4 limit at the end of the calculation? That is, do we have the option of not removing the 'cut-off' in this case?

Any thoughts or references would be most appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember having a somewhat heated debated about this with my fellow colleagues not too long ago (I have not come to consensus with them). My answer is this: The sole purpose of a regulator is to extract the UV behavior of a theory needed to make the renormalization process a respectable mathematical procedure. In ALL cases, I claim that the regulator MUST BE REMOVE upon renormalization, regardless of the type of regulator (dim. reg. or cut-off) and whether the theory is effective or not.

In your example effective theory, in which particles of mass greater than M have been integrated out (but not any momenta of the remaining particles), you MUST still integrate over all remaining degrees of freedom (ie all momentum). No lattice business.

There is one exception; if fields carrying momentum greater than scale K have been integrated out, then any future computations (ie a loop calculation) from the resulting effective theory should not include these DOFs as they have already been taken into account. Such a theory should have no UV divergence at all.

Thanks very much for your help. A difficulty here is that when many places I've looked at discuss the 'integrating out' procedure, they talk about " 'heavy', that is high momentum " fields. So if there is indeed a distinction to make here, it's rarely made. I think this is the most confusing topic I've ever read about!

Related to Wilsonian EFTs and regularization

What is Wilsonian EFT?

Wilsonian EFT (Effective Field Theory) is a theoretical framework used in particle physics to describe the interactions between particles at different energy scales. It is based on the idea that at high energies, all particles and interactions are relevant, but at low energies, only a subset of particles and interactions are relevant.

How does Wilsonian EFT differ from other EFTs?

Wilsonian EFT is unique in that it takes into account the effects of integrating out high-energy particles and interactions. This allows for a more accurate description of particle interactions at low energies, where these effects become important.

What is regularization in Wilsonian EFT?

Regularization is a mathematical technique used to deal with divergences that arise in Wilsonian EFT calculations. It involves introducing a small parameter (e.g. a cutoff or a regulator) to control the divergence and then taking the limit as this parameter goes to zero.

Why is regularization necessary in Wilsonian EFT?

Regularization is necessary in Wilsonian EFT because without it, the calculations would result in infinite or undefined values. These divergences arise due to the infinite number of particles and interactions that are taken into account in the theory.

What are some applications of Wilsonian EFT?

Wilsonian EFT has been used to study a wide range of phenomena in particle physics, including the strong and weak nuclear forces, high-energy collisions, and the behavior of matter at extreme temperatures and densities. It has also been applied in cosmology to study the early universe and the formation of galaxies.