Wind Force on Curved Surfaces: Investigating the Drag on an Upright Cylinder

In summary, the drag on a cylinder in crossflow is not a simple problem that can be solved using basic physics.
avannoord
Hey guys,

I'm trying to prove to a friend something but I couldn't find a proof online. Imagine wind coming in from the side and hitting an upright cylinder. We're trying to find the force exerted, which then requires which kinda of cross section to use. I think the best way to calculate it is by using the a rectangle with the dimensions 2*r*h. since all the wind is not hitting the curved surface perpendicular, it's not correct to use a curved surface model, which would be (2Pi*r*h)/2. I know this is basic physics but sometimes it's the basic you need to know down well. What do you think? Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is really a problem that is solved using fluid mechanics. Typically, the drag coefficient on the cylinder is regarded as a function of the Reynolds number for the flow. The relationship between the drag coefficient and the Reynolds number has been studied and quantified experimentally, and can also be obtained mathemtaically using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) for both laminar and turbulent flow.

avannoord said:
Hey guys,

I'm trying to prove to a friend something but I couldn't find a proof online. Imagine wind coming in from the side and hitting an upright cylinder. We're trying to find the force exerted, which then requires which kinda of cross section to use. I think the best way to calculate it is by using the a rectangle with the dimensions 2*r*h. since all the wind is not hitting the curved surface perpendicular, it's not correct to use a curved surface model, which would be (2Pi*r*h)/2. I know this is basic physics but sometimes it's the basic you need to know down well. What do you think? Thank you for the help.

The drag exerted on a cylinder in crossflow is not a trivial problem- in fact, it's the subject of Stokes' paradox when the flow is slow (low Reynolds number). In this case, basic physics is not sufficient. I have a few references in my office, if I remember tomorrow morning I'll add them to this post.

Related to Wind Force on Curved Surfaces: Investigating the Drag on an Upright Cylinder

What is wind force?

Wind force is the physical force exerted by the moving air molecules on a surface. It is caused by differences in air pressure and can vary in intensity depending on factors such as wind speed and surface area.

How does wind force affect curved surfaces?

Wind force on curved surfaces is greater than on flat surfaces due to the increased surface area. The curved shape of the surface also causes changes in air pressure, resulting in different wind force patterns.

What factors can influence the wind force on a curved surface?

Several factors can affect wind force on a curved surface, including wind speed, surface area, shape of the curve, and the angle of the surface relative to the wind direction. Other factors such as surface roughness and turbulence can also play a role.

How is wind force on curved surfaces measured?

Wind force on curved surfaces can be measured using an anemometer, which is a device that measures wind speed. The force can also be estimated using mathematical models and simulations.

Why is wind force on curved surfaces important to study?

Understanding wind force on curved surfaces is crucial for various industries, such as architecture, engineering, and aerospace. It can also impact the design and stability of structures and objects, as well as the safety of individuals in high-wind environments.