Windows updates driving me crazy

In summary, Windows updates can be a source of frustration for many users, with constant notifications and unexpected restarts disrupting their workflow. These updates are necessary for maintaining the security and functionality of the operating system, but they can also be time-consuming and disruptive. Users can mitigate this frustration by scheduling updates for a convenient time, using the "active hours" feature, and being patient with the process. Additionally, keeping the system and software up-to-date can prevent larger issues in the long run. Overall, while Windows updates may be annoying, they are a necessary part of keeping your computer running smoothly.
Computer science news on Phys.org
pbuk said:
Sounds like you have turned them off: this is probably a bad idea.
Yes, on a not-adequately-isolated machine running Win 10, If you're not going to vet and install at least the important (remedial or prophylactic) updates, then you would probably do better to let the auto-updates run.

Having weighed the risks against the instability and nuisance, I usually disable the auto-updates -- an open-source software tool that can disable (or re-enable) Win 10 Auto Update is available here: https://github.com/WereDev/Wu10Man

Honestly, the best way to disable updates on Windows is to take it off the internet. My Windows 10 VM on Linux is never connected to internet. It works pretty fast and is stable, without updates poking in their nose when I am doing something important.

The discussion in this thread basically boils down to this:
  • It's not possible to entirely turn off updates on Windows. Updates can be delayed at the most by setting active hours, but that's the limit.
  • Even if it was hypothetically possible to switch off updates, that would be pretty bad because your system will miss crucial security updates too.
  • Why does Windows force updates on users rather than letting users choose a time they are comfortable with? We don't know, maybe ask Microsoft?
  • Is there no solution to the problem mentioned in the title? Both yes and no. If you can migrate to Linux, then yes, you will no longer be forced to update. If you can't migrate, you have two options:
    1. Keep your system disconnected from the internet. A viable solution for a VM, but definitely not for a normal setup. Even if you keep it disconnected from the internet in the latter situation, viruses may be injected into your system by network computers or USB drives. Without updating the OS, your system remains vulnerable to such malicious code that exploits unpatched vulnerabilities.
    2. Don't turn your system off. Before you get off for the day, start the updates; hopefully they should be done by the next time you sit at your system. (Unless, of course, someone like CrowdStrike pushes an update to brick your system.)

Wrichik Basu said:
Why does Windows force updates on users rather than letting users choose a time they are comfortable with?
Because too many don't do it. From the point of view of Microsoft, this makes their product more vulnerable and hurts their reputation. Because even if the users don't follow the recommended maintenance that doesn't make the company right in their mind.

3y0302.jpg

Wrichik Basu said:
Honestly, the best way to disable updates on Windows is to take it off the internet.
There are multiple ways to disable the auto-updates that more precisely fit the purpose than that, e.g. you could use your router's firewall to disallow downloads from Microsoft domains,.

Wrichik Basu said:
  • It's not possible to entirely turn off updates on Windows. Updates can be delayed at the most by setting active hours, but that's the limit.
That's not accurate -- you can turn off Windows 10 Update (and turn it back on), e.g. by use of methods and a software tool described and downloadable here: https://github.com/WereDev/Wu10Man

Wrichik Basu said:
Even if it was hypothetically possible to switch off updates, that would be pretty bad because your system will miss crucial security updates too.
You can switch Windows Update off, and turn it back on to do updates when you decide to. That allows you to put in updates that you deem necessary or appropriate, without giving MS a blanket pass to make whatever changes it wants to make, whenever it wants to make them, on and to your system.

Wrichik Basu said:
  • Why does Windows force updates on users rather than letting users choose a time they are comfortable with? We don't know, maybe ask Microsoft?
I think it's pretty clear that MS doesn't want to allow opting out of forced updates -- with Win 7, they had a method for setting delays, but not 'until further notice' delays, and as of later Win 10 releases,, the option to delay is no longer presented.

Last edited:
sysprog1 said:
That's not accurate -- you can turn off Windows 10 Update (and turn it back on), e.g. by use of methods and a software tool described and downloadable here: https://github.com/WereDev/Wu10Man
A software tool that has been archived and no longer supported. Will likely no longer work pretty soon.

Wrichik Basu said:
A software tool that has been archived and no longer supported. Will likely no longer work pretty soon.
That assessment does not support your contention that "it's not possible to entirely turn off updates on Windows". The software tool is downloadable, it works today, and it likely will work on any version of Windows 10 Update for as long as Win 10 is supported -- and that software tool is only an example -- other methods are available that also work. MS has tried in Win 10 to make it difficult to prevent auto-reinstatement of its auto-updater, but the user community has found ways to successfully keep it switched off

sysprog1 said:
That assessment does not support your contention that "it's not possible to entirely turn off updates on Windows".
I think he means it is not possible in a Microsoft-approved way. When you know nothing about computers, you don't install stuff found from who knows where.

But of course, there is always a way. Worst case scenario, I could imagine some firewall rule restricting access to the update URL would do the trick.

jack action said:
I think he means it is not possible in a Microsoft-approved way.
If there were a 100% MS-approved way, then presumably there would be no reason for the OP to have started this thread. The tool automates use of MS-approved interfaces to accomplish the disabling of auto-update functions.

jack action said:
When you know nothing about computers, you don't install stuff found from who knows where.
It's open source, and its workings are well explained in the accompanying documentation.

jack action said:
But of course, there is always a way. Worst case scenario, I could imagine some firewall rule restricting access to the update URL would do the trick.
Yes, this is from my prior post (#40) in this thread:

Wrichik Basu said:
Honestly, the best way to disable updates on Windows is to take it off the internet.
There are multiple ways to disable the auto-updates that more precisely fit the purpose than that, e.g. you could use your router's firewall to disallow downloads from Microsoft domains,.

Likes jack action
FactChecker said:
How long was it in sleep mode? Was it a long time? I have not noticed this on my computers except when I restart my laptop that has not been used for months.

I never try to use my computers when updates are in progress. I'm not sure what that might do. Many updates (especially bios updates) require a restart.

Do you know if the downloads and installs completed successfully? Maybe it keeps trying to install the same update and keeps failing.
sandy stone said:
TL;DR Summary: Incessant updates sucking up computing resources

Is anyone else experiencing this, or do I have some problem with my system?
This drove me nuts when I used PCs. Literally, one of the reasons I now use Macs. (I can run Windows in a virtual machine on the rare occasions that I need to . . . but guess what? 🙄)
Your best defense might be to turn off your Wi-FI (or router) before booting up, and turn it back on only when you need to access the Internet. Reboot at bedtime, and by morning you should be good to go ... until next time.

Last edited:
James Demers said:
(I can run Windows in a virtual machine on the rare occasions that I need to . . . but guess what? 🙄)
I used to do this as well so I could test out assignments for one of my classes. I ran Windows so infrequently, most of the time was spent installing the updates.

jack action said:
From the point of view of Microsoft, this makes their product more vulnerable and hurts their reputation.
From my point of view messing my settings and limiting my control over my PC is hurting me.

By the way... Just now I was forced to switch to W11. I want back my detailed, long, nice looking context menu :oldcry:

Win'11 ?? I keep getting M$'s increasingly insistent prompts to upgrade my '10'.

From time to time, I run the '11' compatibility checking tool. Every time, it reports 'No way...'
Seems this tool does not 'phone home', as their upgrade pleas continue unabated...
It's mostly the security chip thing: Both this CAD_Tower and the network render 'Box' have a mobo port for a plug-in dongle. But, if I did that, a Tuesday brunch would surely find the '10' update included an unwanted '11', disabling or deranging many of my warily coaxed 'legacy' tools and utilities...

FWIW, I have a reasonably fast ISP link, ~8 MBs (~100Mbs), but waiting for even 'minor' Win'10 upgrades that stall at 80~~90% to tediously unwind, retry day after day after day is a serious inconvenience.

Likes Tom.G
Rive said:
From my point of view messing my settings and limiting my control over my PC is hurting me.
:oldcry:
Sure, but do you seriously think that MS give a rat's patootie about you? Or me? Or ANY of its users?

• Informative
Likes Nik_2213
Nik_2213 said:
I keep getting M$'s increasingly insistent prompts to upgrade my '10'
I was also inundated with the same thing for a while. I don't know what I did but it has to have been something because I haven't gotten a single one in many months.

Wrichik Basu said:
Because it reached EOL four years back. So no security updates either; CVEs remain unpatched.
hhhh...I used it the same way:biggrin:

Back