Wire supplying current to a filament lamp doesnt get hot?

In summary, the wire that supplies current to the filament lamp in a light bulb does not heat up because it has a lower resistance compared to the filament, which is made of a thin and high-resistance material such as tungsten. This is why the filament heats up and emits light, while the wire remains cool. Additionally, the filament in car headlights is designed to withstand high levels of vibration and shock, which is why it is made of a thicker and more durable material like tungsten. This explains why car headlights do not break easily compared to domestic light bulbs.
Dixanadu
Hi everyone,

So one of my students has asked me a question which I'm not sure how to answer. The question is: Why does the wire that supplies current to the filament lamp in a light bulb not heat up, even though the filament itself does?

Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-2/calculating-electric-power/

What is the resistance of the wire to the lamp?

Dixanadu said:
Hi everyone,

So one of my students has asked me a question which I'm not sure how to answer. The question is: Why does the wire that supplies current to the filament lamp in a light bulb not heat up, even though the filament itself does?

Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you :)

To emphasize what nsaspook has said, why do you think that the filament in the light bulb is often made of very thin tungsten, whereas the wire supplying the current and connected to the light bulb is made of thicker copper? Look up the resistivity of each as a start.

Zz.

Once you understand the above you might be able to work out why the filament in a car headlight bulb (say 50W,12V) doesn't break easily? After all they are subjected to high levels of vibration and shock. If you have ever handled an old a domestic light bulb (say 50W, 220V) you will know that it's very easy to break the filament - simply removing the bulb and putting it down on a table can be enough.

Related to Wire supplying current to a filament lamp doesnt get hot?

1. Why doesn't the wire supplying current to a filament lamp get hot?

The wire supplying current to a filament lamp doesn't get hot because it is made of a material, such as copper or aluminum, that is a good conductor of electricity. This means that it allows electricity to flow through it with minimal resistance, which results in very little heat being generated.

2. Is it normal for the wire supplying current to a filament lamp to not get hot?

Yes, it is normal for the wire supplying current to a filament lamp to not get hot. As mentioned before, the wire is made of a good conductor material which prevents it from getting hot.

3. What causes the filament of a lamp to get hot instead of the wire supplying current to it?

The filament of a lamp gets hot because it is designed to have a high resistance to the flow of electricity. This resistance causes the filament to heat up and emit light, while the wire supplying current remains cool due to its low resistance.

4. Can the wire supplying current to a filament lamp ever get hot?

In certain situations, the wire supplying current to a filament lamp can get hot. This can happen if the wire is damaged or if there is a high amount of current flowing through it. In these cases, the wire may overheat and potentially cause a fire.

5. What are the advantages of using a good conductor material for the wire supplying current to a filament lamp?

The main advantage of using a good conductor material for the wire supplying current to a filament lamp is that it allows for efficient and safe flow of electricity without generating excess heat. This helps to prevent overheating and potential hazards, while also ensuring that the lamp functions properly and emits light as intended.