Wireless engineering communication QAM

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 16 QAM modulation with 10 codes to achieve a value of 7.2 Mbps in a HSDPA multicode peak rate of wireless communication. There is confusion about the meaning of "signal processing path" and the question itself.
iwishiwassmart

Homework Statement

On a HSDPA multicode peak rate of wireless communication
Channel Coding rate: 3/4.

How was the value
7.2 Mbps found using 10 codes of a 16 QAM modulation using signal processing path.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel bad in saying this, but I have no idea where to start. I was wondering if someone could give me some hints, or rewording the question in a way that might make it easier for me to understand.

-----------------------

I think I figured out how to do it :D! I think, hopefully that doesn't change soon but since I wrote down the question here slightly different to the question asked, and then reread my question it made sooo much more sense for some random reason hahaha.
Thankss!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well done and also Welcome to forum

nil1996 said:
Well done and also Welcome to forum

Haha thanks, I got to admit, it was definitely a nice way into the forum.

I was just wondering does anyone know what particular "signal processing path" means, I guess I'm just unsure if I'm actually using the whole signal processing path or not.

Well...I don't know anything about signal processing.:smile:
I saw you are new and just came to welcome you:-p

Great job! It's always helpful to reword the question in a way that makes more sense to you. Here's a possible response to the original question:

Wireless engineering communication QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) is a method of encoding digital data onto an analog carrier signal. In this case, the channel coding rate of 3/4 indicates that for every 4 bits of data, 3 bits are used for encoding and 1 bit is used for error correction.

The value of 7.2 Mbps (megabits per second) was found by using 10 codes of a 16 QAM modulation and a signal processing path. This means that 10 different codes were used to encode the data, and the modulation scheme used was 16 QAM. 16 QAM uses 16 different amplitude and phase combinations to encode 4 bits of data, resulting in a higher data rate compared to simpler modulation schemes.

The signal processing path refers to the steps taken to encode and decode the data, which includes modulation, demodulation, and error correction. These steps contribute to the overall data rate achieved in the wireless communication system.

By using 10 codes of 16 QAM and a signal processing path, a peak rate of 7.2 Mbps was achieved on a HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access) multicode system. This shows the efficiency and effectiveness of using advanced modulation and signal processing techniques in wireless communication.

FAQ: Wireless engineering communication QAM

1. What is QAM in wireless engineering communication?

QAM stands for Quadrature Amplitude Modulation, which is a method used in wireless communication to transmit digital signals over radio frequencies. It combines both amplitude and phase modulation to increase the data carrying capacity of a single channel.

2. How does QAM work in wireless communication?

QAM works by changing the amplitude and phase of a carrier signal to represent different combinations of binary digits (bits). This allows for multiple bits to be transmitted simultaneously, increasing the data transfer rate and improving efficiency.

3. What are the advantages of using QAM in wireless communication?

There are several advantages to using QAM in wireless communication, including higher data rates, improved spectral efficiency, and increased robustness against noise and interference. QAM also allows for more efficient use of available frequency spectrum, making it a popular choice for wireless communication systems.

4. What are the different types of QAM in wireless communication?

There are several types of QAM, including 16-QAM, 64-QAM, and 256-QAM, which refer to the number of different combinations of amplitude and phase used to represent the digital signal. The higher the number, the more bits that can be transmitted simultaneously, resulting in higher data rates.

5. What are some real-world applications of QAM in wireless communication?

QAM is used in a variety of wireless communication systems, including cable modems, satellite communication, digital television, and cellular networks. It is also used in wireless local area networks (WLANs) and Wi-Fi networks to improve data transfer rates and network efficiency.

Back