Wonderful exponent tower property

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an exponent tower and its curious property of converging to a specific value, as seen in the example of p=2. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in proving this property for any given case, and provides a proof for the case of p=2. It also clarifies the difference between an exponent tower and a power tower and concludes that the exponent tower sequence of square roots of 2 does indeed converge to 2.
meemoe_uk
Hi dudes, don't be put off by the clumsy notation here.

I was wondering about these particular exponent towers and this curious property of theirs...

Let p be a positive integer. Then the exponent tower, composed of p+1 parts each of value p^(1/p), equals p.

e.g. for p=2.
tower part = 2^(1/2)
(2^(1/2))^ ((2^(1/2))^(2^(1/2)))=2
bah, this looks clumsy, but it's concise written by hand, i.e. a 3 part exponent tower.

Anyway, I heard that it's difficult to prove any particular case for p, let alone the general case. I had a go myself for case p=2. I set x equals exponent tower and tried to show x=2, but I got nowhere.

Can anyone post the easiest proof for case p=2?, or any other case?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, that isn't true as you've written it, since the only number you can raise [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] to to get 2 is 2 (did I mention 2?). However, if you write it like this:

[tex]((\sqrt{2})^{\sqrt{2}})^{\sqrt{2}} = (\sqrt{2})^{\sqrt{2}\cdot\sqrt{2}} = (\sqrt{2})^2=2[/tex]

Then it is true, and it is clear how this extends to the general case.

Doops, well that's another of reality's amazing mysterys unweaved. Feels like the time I discovered santa claus didn't really exist.

And FYI, a power tower looks like this:

[tex]a^{a^{a^\ldots}}[/tex]

and not

[tex]((a^a)^a)^\ldots[/tex]

A quick google search reveals that people seem to use exponent tower to mean the same thing... so it sounds like whoever posed the problem to you has their terms wrong. :frown:

However, the power tower SEQUENCE of square roots of 2 does converge to 2.

Here's a proof:
1. The sequence is bounded above by 2. This is seen in that each member of the sequence must be less than the number where the last square root of 2 is replaced by a 2. That number is easily sen to be 2.

2. The sequence is increasing, by 1., it must therefore converge to some number x.

3. x must satisfy the equation:
[tex]x=(\sqrt{2})^{x}[/tex]
This equation has two solutions; x=2 and x=4
Since 2 is the lesser upper bound, the tower converges to 2, rather than to 4

Last edited:

FAQ: Wonderful exponent tower property

1. What is the "Wonderful Exponent Tower Property"?

The "Wonderful Exponent Tower Property" is a mathematical property that describes the behavior of exponential functions. It states that when you raise a power to another power, you can simply multiply the exponents together. For example, (2^3)^4 = 2^(3*4) = 2^12.

2. How is the "Wonderful Exponent Tower Property" useful in mathematics?

This property is useful in simplifying complex exponential expressions, especially in algebra and calculus. It allows us to combine multiple exponents into a single expression, making it easier to solve equations and work with exponential functions.

3. Can the "Wonderful Exponent Tower Property" be applied to all types of exponential functions?

Yes, this property can be applied to all types of exponential functions, including both positive and negative exponents. It is a fundamental rule in the study of exponents and is applicable in various mathematical concepts and fields.

4. Is the "Wonderful Exponent Tower Property" related to the "Power of a Power" property?

Yes, the "Wonderful Exponent Tower Property" is a specific case of the more general "Power of a Power" property. The "Power of a Power" property states that (a^m)^n = a^(m*n), which includes the "Wonderful Exponent Tower Property" when m and n are both exponents.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to the "Wonderful Exponent Tower Property"?

While this property is generally true for all exponential expressions, there are some exceptions. For example, it does not apply to expressions with negative bases or expressions with fractional exponents. It is always important to check for these exceptions when applying this property.