Wondering about becoming an Engineer

• Thread starter golden_acorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in becoming a software engineer and their current academic studies in high school. They mention not being able to join the engineering program due to their late interest and ask for recommendations on classes that would be beneficial for engineering. The conversation ends with the speaker finding an answer from their school.
golden_acorn
I don't know what type yet, but I like computers, so I am thinking of probably software engineer. I am a sophomore in High School, and I am taking Advanced Pre-Calc/Trig and Pre-AP Physics. There is an engineering program at our school, but unfortunately, I didn't sign up because over the summer is when I developed interest for engineering, and by that time, it was too late to join the engineering class :( ( you have to have joined by 9th grade). So I was wondering what type of classes would be geared toward engineering, now that I am not in the actual engineering class *grr*?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, got an answer from school.

I understand your interest in engineering and your desire to pursue a career in the field. It is great to see that you have already identified your interest in computers and are considering a career as a software engineer.

Since you are currently a sophomore in high school, it is important to focus on taking classes that will build a strong foundation for your future engineering studies. In addition to the advanced math and physics courses you are already taking, I would recommend taking courses in computer science, programming, and electronics. These classes will give you a better understanding of the technical skills and knowledge required for engineering, specifically in the software engineering field.

I understand that you were not able to join the engineering program at your school, but there are other ways to gain practical experience and knowledge in the field. You can consider participating in extracurricular activities such as robotics clubs, coding clubs, or even internships at local engineering companies. These experiences will not only give you hands-on experience, but also help you network with professionals in the field.

Additionally, I would encourage you to continue exploring different types of engineering, as there are many different specializations within the field. You can do this by reading books, attending workshops, or even reaching out to professionals in different areas of engineering to learn more about their work. This will help you make an informed decision about which type of engineering you want to pursue in the future.

Overall, it is never too late to start on your journey towards becoming an engineer. Keep your focus on building a strong foundation in math, science, and computer-related courses, and seek out opportunities to gain practical experience in the field. With determination and hard work, you can achieve your goal of becoming a successful engineer.

Related to Wondering about becoming an Engineer

1. What is the job outlook for engineers?

The job outlook for engineers is generally positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029. This is on par with the average growth rate for all occupations. The demand for engineers is driven by technological advancements and the need for infrastructure improvements.

2. What are the educational requirements for becoming an engineer?

To become an engineer, one typically needs at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some positions may require a master's degree or even a Ph.D. in a specialized area. Additionally, engineers must also obtain a professional engineering license, which requires passing a licensing exam.

3. What skills are important for a career in engineering?

Some important skills for an engineering career include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong analytical and mathematical abilities. Good communication and teamwork skills are also essential, as engineers often work in teams to design and develop complex systems.

4. What types of engineering fields are available?

There are many different types of engineering fields, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, aerospace, and biomedical engineering. Within each of these fields, there are also various specializations and sub-disciplines, providing a wide range of career options for aspiring engineers.

5. What are some of the challenges of being an engineer?

Some challenges of being an engineer include long hours, tight deadlines, and high-pressure environments. Engineers also need to stay current with new technologies and industry trends, which requires ongoing learning and professional development. Additionally, the work can be highly technical and detail-oriented, requiring a high level of precision and attention to detail.