Wondering about quantum information and phase factors.

In summary, the phase factor in quantum states has no physical significance, but relative phases do. This is important in holonomic quantum computation, where phase changes are used for logic operations and storing data. In interference experiments, the relative phase shift can affect the resulting measurement. The density matrix description of states does not include a phase term, but this does not affect its use in describing quantum information.
Beer-monster
I seem to be at a loss to understand something pertaining to the role of the phase factors in defining quantum states and their consequences in quantum computing.

So, I learned in class and read in numerous books, and online, that the phase factor has no physical significance as it does not affect the expectation value. However, I've also heard of holonomic quantum computation, which uses phase changes to perform logic operations and store data.

This seems a little confusing to me, as the information operated on in the operation will eventually need to be read out. But how can one see the affect of the logic gate in a measurement if the phase change has no physical effect, i.e. how can one distinguish between a prepared state that has gone through a phase changing gate and one that hasn't?

And can't these phase changes be observed in interference experiments which would imply they have some physical significance?

Also, the density matrix description of states does not include a phase term but I also know that these matrices are used in describing quantum information processes but I'm unsure how without the phase information?

I'm sure I'm just missing some aspect to link all of this together, could anyone point me the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me try to work through this a bit more.

So after some reading I found out that I wasn't being specific enough. It's global phases differences that have no physical significance, but relative phases do. Operations that shift the relative phase do affect the state as represented by rotations of the state vector on the Bloch sphere.

Following this logic, in interference experiments when the shifted and unshifted states meet they form a superposed state with a relative phase shift, which affects the resulting measured.

As the global phase factor makes no difference, the fact that this is lost when computing density matrices does not effect its use in describing quantum information.

Does this sound something like correct? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sounds good to me. I'm learning Quantum Information right now too, so I'm not an expert, but it looks like you've answered your question.

Related to Wondering about quantum information and phase factors.

1. What is quantum information?

Quantum information refers to the fundamental unit of information in quantum mechanics, which is based on the principles of quantum superposition and entanglement. It involves the use of quantum systems, such as atoms or photons, to store and process information.

2. How does quantum information differ from classical information?

Classical information is based on the principles of classical physics, where information is represented in bits that can have a value of either 0 or 1. Quantum information, on the other hand, can exist in multiple states simultaneously, known as superposition, and can be entangled with other quantum systems, allowing for faster and more efficient processing.

3. What are phase factors in quantum information?

Phase factors represent the phase of a quantum state, which is a mathematical parameter that describes the location and behavior of a quantum system. These factors can affect the outcome of quantum calculations and can be manipulated to perform quantum operations.

4. How is quantum information used in technology?

Quantum information has many potential applications in technology, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. These technologies utilize the unique properties of quantum systems to perform tasks that are not possible with classical information processing.

5. What are the challenges in studying and understanding quantum information?

One of the main challenges in studying quantum information is the complex and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics. It requires a deep understanding of advanced mathematics and can be difficult to conceptualize. Additionally, practical challenges such as maintaining the delicate quantum states and reducing errors in quantum operations also present obstacles in the field.