Wood fire in compressed air chamber?

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential use of wood burning in a compressed chamber with a pressure of 15 kg/cm2 to produce electricity. It was mentioned that the wood would burn faster at higher pressure, but there were concerns about safety and efficiency at such high pressures. The idea of using a fan to circulate the air and create a bigger fire was suggested, but it was noted that this would not generate electricity. Ultimately, it was concluded that further research on high pressure steam boilers may shed light on the feasibility and safety of this method.
magi
Hi.

What happends when i put fire to wood that I have in a chamber
with a pressure of about 15 kg/cm2 = 14.710 Bar = 213,3 Psi.

Will it burn as usuall or much faster?

Will I get a very high pressure?

How High pressure can I get?

Magi

Physics news on Phys.org
It would burn faster than usual, assuming this is a normal atmosphere.
Fire is a major danger in decompression chambers If you have an oxygen atmosphere things can burn very quickly, you have to be careful about even having spilled gas/diesel on your shoes.

Wood burning needs circulation of air. I think in a pressurized chamber like that, the circulation is not easy to happen.
You may check the key word gasifier.

pixel01 said:
Wood burning needs circulation of air. I think in a pressurized chamber like that, the circulation is not easy to happen.
You may check the key word gasifier.

I can have a smal fan in the chamber that blow/circulate the air through the fire maybe.
The gasifier I read about is for normal open non compressed systems and is no fun. :)

mgb_phys said:
It would burn faster than usual, assuming this is a normal atmosphere.
Fire is a major danger in decompression chambers If you have an oxygen atmosphere things can burn very quickly, you have to be careful about even having spilled gas/diesel on your shoes.

I want a compression chamber were I can burn wood under start pressure of about
15 kg/cm2 = 14.710 Bar = 213,3 Psi and then have the pressure go up to
200 kg/cm2 = 196 Bar = 2844 Psi and have the inside of the tube isolated so the heat of the gas stay when I run the pressure through a air motor or turbine to make electricity and ordinary compressed air as a energy storage.

Is that a effective way to get electricity?

Is anybody making systems like this anywere in a smal scale for home users?

Is it interesting?

Magi

Last edited:
I don't think at high pressure you will have higher efficiency because the burning reactions in general are making more gas molecules (H2O, CO) so the higher the pressure, the more the equilibrium shifts to the left.
Some thing for home use at such a high pressure i have never heard.

Hi Magi
A good question, but if there is point or two of value here, the issue of safety in a user friendly setting, is nonexistant in a device that is opened and closed by someone with little or no training.
The key issue here is HIGH PRESSURE, and HEAT, which produce an EXTREME CAUTION zone.

RonL said:
Hi Magi
A good question, but if there is point or two of value here, the issue of safety in a user friendly setting, is nonexistant in a device that is opened and closed by someone with little or no training.
The key issue here is HIGH PRESSURE, and HEAT, which produce an EXTREME CAUTION zone.

Every engine in a car produce high pressure and heat and when I was young I
opend engines and repaired and trim them, so I am sure it is possible to produce a system that can be handled by ordinary people, so that they can have a safe power station at home running on solid fuel, simpel, safe and cheap for everyone.

It is a matter of engineering to make it safe and fail proofe, isn't it.

But the question is how high pressure can you get and how efficient can it get.

Magi

A little research on high pressure steam boilers, might give some insight as to why this might not be a good "home use system".

As i stated, the (heat/pressure/size) relationship is the point of great concerne.

Ron

The wood should burn much faster at higher pressure. What would be the point of this though? How would you quickly circulate the air at this high pressure. The system would require a high pressure, high air flow, pump for the air intake, and some type of pressure maintaining exhaust system. If the goal is just more heat, then just a fan to keep the air moving at a moderately fast flow will do the job, similar to a blast furnace.

why don't you get a compressed air tank with those little air gun things and shoot air at the fire
if done at the right place i think it makes a bigger fire

As others stated, what you are thinking of trying is dangerous.

Beyond that, it won't do anything useful. In order to generate power, the air/exhaust needs to move through the turbine. You can't have a constant high pressure in some vessel and still have the air moving through a turbine. You also can't just blow air into a vessel and have it spontaneously increase in pressure. Something has to act on the air to move it (like the fan you are talking about). But if you use a fan to move the air, the fan is what is producing the energy (and also using the energy).

You really should look into how a steam engine works. What you are trying to do is similar, but missing some pieces.

RonL said:
A little research on high pressure steam boilers, might give some insight as to why this might not be a good "home use system".

As i stated, the (heat/pressure/size) relationship is the point of great concerne.

Ron

A car have the same pressure and heat as a steam boiler and if handled wrong can explode and kill.
The thing is if it is possible to build a system with many smal chambers that you burn solid fuel in and is solid as todays engines, to be able to handle pressure safely.

Jeff Reid said:
The wood should burn much faster at higher pressure. What would be the point of this though? How would you quickly circulate the air at this high pressure. The system would require a high pressure, high air flow, pump for the air intake, and some type of pressure maintaining exhaust system. If the goal is just more heat, then just a fan to keep the air moving at a moderately fast flow will do the job, similar to a blast furnace.

The tube have all the air and solid fuel it need to create a high pressure and heat,
as in a normal engine but the fuel will burn much slower.
In the tube there can be a fan that can circulate the air as it burn.
The whole inside of the tube can be isolated so that the created exhaust gas heat can be contained in the gas while you let it out to a turbine after all the fuel have burned out.
In a normal engine the gas is directly in contact with the walls and the heat that is tranferes through the wall is cooled away and is a energy loss.
In this system you can isolate it and after the turbine taken the exhaust gas it can be loaded again if there are enough of other tubes that can be running while the temp of the tube is cooled and loaded up.

This could be an idea to gasoline engines maybe.
The whole gasoline engine could be isolated and more efficient if there were enough cylinders running while the cylinder cools down to a temp so the fuel don't self ignite when it later is loaded again when it is its turn.
Its a compleately crazy idea because the engine would need to many cylinders but i like my insane brain and maybe someone can make something of it. :)
But I guess the best idea to get a normal engine more efficient is to use a system called turbosteamer from BMW.

noagname said:
why don't you get a compressed air tank with those little air gun things and shoot air at the fire
if done at the right place i think it makes a bigger fire

You are a funny man. :)

russ_watters said:
As others stated, what you are thinking of trying is dangerous.

Beyond that, it won't do anything useful. In order to generate power, the air/exhaust needs to move through the turbine. You can't have a constant high pressure in some vessel and still have the air moving through a turbine.
I take a tube and put a solid fuel in it like wood and then i fill the tube with compressed air so that the wood have enough air to burn compleately.
When it burn it will increase in pressure just as in a engine before the piston start move down, but slower. Then I let the exhaus gas out to a turbine and it will run and the pressure will go down in the tank until the pressure in the tube is at atmospheric level.
You also can't just blow air into a vessel and have it spontaneously increase in pressure.
The system have all its solid fuel and compressed air it needs before it is ignited.
I do not plan to fill it with more air when it burn.
Something has to act on the air to move it (like the fan you are talking about). But if you use a fan to move the air, the fan is what is producing the energy (and also using the energy).
The fan I put in the tube can be running on electricity by wires through the tube wall but it need to run in a very high pressure and heat.
You really should look into how a steam engine works. What you are trying to do is similar, but missing some pieces.

I am not sure you understand what I am trying to explain here.

Master of Science in Engineering Physics

Magnus Ivarsson

Last edited:

Related to Wood fire in compressed air chamber?

1. What is a wood fire in a compressed air chamber?

A wood fire in a compressed air chamber is a controlled combustion process where wood is burned in a chamber with a limited air supply. This results in a higher temperature and a more efficient burn compared to a traditional open fire.

2. What are the benefits of using a compressed air chamber for a wood fire?

Using a compressed air chamber for a wood fire can result in a more efficient burn, as well as reduced smoke and emissions. It can also be a safer option, as the fire is contained within the chamber.

3. How does a compressed air chamber affect the quality of the fire?

The compressed air in the chamber creates a more oxygen-rich environment, allowing for a hotter and more complete burn. This can result in a cleaner and more intense fire.

4. Are there any dangers associated with a wood fire in a compressed air chamber?

As with any fire, there are potential dangers such as burns and fire hazards. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and guidelines when operating a compressed air chamber for a wood fire.

5. Can any type of wood be used in a compressed air chamber?

Most types of wood can be used in a compressed air chamber, but some may burn more efficiently than others. It is recommended to use dry, seasoned wood for the best results.