Word 2007 Equations: Worth Upgrading for Latex Users?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Rhian
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the experience with the equation editor in Word 2007 and whether it was better than in Word 2003. The question of whether it was worth upgrading to Word 2007 for the better equation editor was also raised. The possibility of using a different word processor that can produce DOC files, such as Jarte Word Processor, was also mentioned, as well as the use of MathType as an alternative to Word's equation editor. The question of why the dissertation had to be written in Word was also brought up.
Rhian
I am a Latex User but have to write my dissertation in Word. Has anybody experience with the equation editor of Word 2007?

Is it better than in Word 2003? Is it worth to get the 2007 version (I have only 2003) because of the better equation editor?

Thanks for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Must the dissertation be done only in Word? May a different wordprocessor which gives DOC files also be used? I've mentioned this before, but there is Jarte Word Processor which easily let's you copy and paste from TexAide; and I have found TexAide easy to use, easier than using the equation editor from MS Word. If you want to use Word, then maybe you might want to investigate MathType (from Design Science Associates, who also make TexAide, although TexAid is the FREEWARE program).

Why in the world do you need to write your dissertation in Word?

Related to Word 2007 Equations: Worth Upgrading for Latex Users?

1. What are the main differences between Word 2007 equations and LaTeX equations?

The main differences between Word 2007 equations and LaTeX equations are the syntax and the level of customization. LaTeX uses a specific syntax for writing equations, whereas Word 2007 equations use a more user-friendly interface. Additionally, LaTeX offers a higher level of customization and control over the appearance of equations.

2. Can Word 2007 equations be converted to LaTeX equations?

Yes, it is possible to convert Word 2007 equations to LaTeX equations. However, the conversion process may not be perfect and may require some adjustments to ensure the equations are correctly formatted in LaTeX.

3. Is it worth upgrading to Word 2007 for LaTeX users?

It depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you frequently work with equations and prefer a more user-friendly interface, then upgrading to Word 2007 may be beneficial. However, if you require a high level of customization and control over equations, LaTeX may still be the better option.

4. Can Word 2007 equations be exported to other formats?

Yes, Word 2007 equations can be exported to other formats such as PDF, HTML, and image files. This can be useful for sharing equations with others who may not have Word 2007 or for including equations in presentations or documents.

5. Are there any limitations to using Word 2007 equations?

There are some limitations to using Word 2007 equations, such as the lack of support for advanced mathematical symbols and functions. Additionally, the equations may not be as easily editable as they are in LaTeX. However, for basic equations and general use, Word 2007 equations can be a convenient and efficient option.