Word problem using lagrange multiplier

In summary, International Widget Co. uses three different materials to produce high-quality widgets. The cost of these materials is $6 per tonne, $4 per tonne, and $8 per tonne. The objective function is to find the quantity of each material necessary to manufacture 1000 widgets at the lowest possible cost. The constraint is that xyz = 1000. Using the Lagrange multiplier method or solving for z in terms of x and y, the solver finds that y=3000 and x=2000.
jonroberts74

Homework Statement

The Baraboo, Wisconsin plant of International Widget Co. uses aluminum, iron and magnesium to produce high-quality widgets. The quantity of widgets which may be produced using x tonnes of aluminum, y tonnes of iron and z tonnes of magnesium is Q(x,y,z) = xyz. the cost of raw materials is aluminum, $6 dollars per tonne; iron, $4 per tonne; magnesium, $8 per tonne. How many of each of aluminum, iron, and magnesium should be used to manufacture 1000 widgets at the lowest possible cost

Homework Equations

Q(x,y,z) = xyz is the objective function

is the constraint 6x+4y+8z=1000 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it isn't. How did you come up with that? What is 6x+4y+8z supposed to represent? What does the 1000 represent? Does it make sense to set those two expressions equal to each other?

I have issues with reading english.

the 1000 represents the number of widgets

6x,4y,8z would be the cost of each used material.

now I see the issue because 1000 is not a cost, it is a quantity

1000=xyz

so I need to find my objective function

would it not be the cost of each added up?
6x+4y+8z=C(x,y,z) [doesn't make much sense for solving it either though when I try to actually try putting it together]

Last edited:
Yup, you're trying to minimize the cost subject to the constraint of a fixed quantity.

Likes 1 person
jonroberts74 said:
I have issues with reading english.

the 1000 represents the number of widgets

6x,4y,8z would be the cost of each used material.

now I see the issue because 1000 is not a cost, it is a quantity

1000=xyz

so I need to find my objective function

would it not be the cost of each added up?
6x+4y+8z=C(x,y,z) [doesn't make much sense for solving it either though when I try to actually try putting it together]

Yes, your problem is to minimize 6x+4y+8z, subject to the constraint that xyz = 1000. Implicitly, you also need x,y,z > 0.

The problem has a perfectly respectable solution that can be found via a Lagrange multiplier method, or by using the constraint to solve for z, say, in terms of x and y, then using that in the objective to get an unconstrained problem (although still with implicit constraints x,y > 0).

Likes 1 person
thank you for the help, word problems are hard with my difficulty reading

[tex]F(x,y,z,\lambda) = 6x+4y+8z - \lambda(xyz-1000)[/tex]

[tex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}6-yz\lambda=0 \\ 4-xz\lambda=0 \\8-xy\lambda=0 \\ -xyz+1000 =0 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

[tex]\lambda = \frac{6}{yz} = \frac{4}{xz} = \frac{8}{xy} [/tex]

whats the best step to take from here

Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:
thank you for the help, word problems are hard with my difficulty reading

[tex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}6-yz\lambda=0 \\ 4-xz\lambda=0 \\8-xy\lambda=0 \\ -xyz+1000 =0 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

whats the best step to take from here

If I were able to isolate each equality for lambda to one variable then I could solve the restraint for lambda to get the x,y,z. and it seems if I try solving for any variable it will have two variable in the equality

What have you tried? It seems pretty straightforward how to solve this system.

I tried solving for lambda first but that doesn't work.

Then tried solving for z, but I didn't have luck. I'll try again this afternoon.

Show your work if you want help. Simply saying what you tried and then saying it didn't work is pretty much useless to us.

I can't show it when I am replying in between classes. That why I said I will do it again this afternoon.

if I take

[tex]6-yz\lambda=0; 4-xz\lambda=0[/tex][tex]\lambda = \frac{6}{yz} = \frac{4}{zx}[/tex]

solving for x [tex]x=\frac{2y}{3}[/tex] now using

[tex]8-xy\lambda=0;4-xz\lambda=0 \Rightarrow \lambda = \frac{8}{xy}=\frac{4}{xz}[/tex]

solving for z [tex]z=\frac{1y}{2}[/tex]

now [tex] \frac{2y}{3}(y)\frac{1y}{2}=1000\Rightarrow \frac{1y}{3}=1000 \Rightarrow y =3000[/tex]

[tex]x=2000;z=1500[/tex]
this seems incorrect

##\frac 23 y \times y \times \frac 12 y = \frac 13 y^3##, not ##\frac 13 y##.

vela said:
##\frac 23 y \times y \times \frac 12 y = \frac 13 y^3##, not ##\frac 13 y##.

that's how tried I am. sorry

so [tex]\frac{y^3}{3}=1000 \Rightarrow y=\sqrt[3]{1000/3}[/tex]

Not quite. Try again.

I see what's wrong

[tex] y= 10\sqrt[3]{3}[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex] y= 10\sqrt[3]{3}; x = \frac{20\sqrt[3]{3}}{3};z=5\sqrt[3]{3}[/tex]

Looks good!

Related to Word problem using lagrange multiplier

What is a "Word problem using Lagrange multiplier"?

A "Word problem using Lagrange multiplier" is a type of mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to a set of constraints. The Lagrange multiplier method is used to solve these types of problems by introducing a new variable, known as the Lagrange multiplier, to incorporate the constraints into the objective function.

What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers in word problems?

The purpose of using Lagrange multipliers in word problems is to simplify the process of finding the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. By introducing the Lagrange multiplier, the problem can be transformed into a simpler problem of finding the stationary points of a new function, which can then be solved using traditional methods.

How do you set up a word problem using Lagrange multipliers?

To set up a word problem using Lagrange multipliers, you first need to identify the objective function, which represents the quantity that needs to be optimized. Next, you need to identify the constraints, which are the conditions that must be satisfied for the problem to be solved. Finally, you need to introduce the Lagrange multiplier as a new variable and set up the Lagrangian function, which is the sum of the objective function and the product of the Lagrange multiplier and the constraints.

What are the steps to solve a word problem using Lagrange multipliers?

The steps to solve a word problem using Lagrange multipliers are as follows:

1. Set up the Lagrangian function by adding the objective function and the product of the Lagrange multiplier and the constraints.
  2. Take the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian function with respect to all variables (including the Lagrange multiplier).
  3. Set the partial derivatives equal to zero and solve the resulting system of equations to find the stationary points.
  4. Substitute the values of the stationary points into the original objective function to determine which point(s) yield the maximum or minimum value.

What are some real-life applications of word problems using Lagrange multipliers?

Word problems using Lagrange multipliers have numerous real-life applications, including in economics, engineering, physics, and operations research. For example, they can be used to optimize production levels in a factory subject to resource constraints, minimize costs of a construction project while meeting certain specifications, or determine the optimal usage of resources in a transportation network.