Word Problem with Geometric Series

In summary: I suggest finding the sum of the terms as you go, and then writing that sum at the end of the article.
Broo4075

Homework Statement

The total reserves of a nonrenewable resource are 600 million tons. Annual consumption, currently 20 million tons per year, is expected to rise by 1% each year. After how many years will the reserve be exhausted?

Part 2. Instead of Increasing by 1% each year, suppose consumption was decreasing by a constant percentage per year. If existing reserves are to never be exhausted, what annual percentage reduction in consumption is required?

Homework Equations

Ʃar^n Geometric series

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that the common ratio r=1.01
I'm just not really sure how to write a geometric series summation to fit the problem.
I also am having a difficult time starting part B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the first year the consumption, call it ##C## is ##600##. Next year it is ##600(1.01)##. Next year ##600(1.01)^2## and so on. What is it in year ##n##? What is the sum of those? Where exactly are you stuck?

[Edit] Woops, I typed 600 instead of 20. Was in a hurry this morning I guess. :frown:

Last edited:
i think it's 20(1.01)^n, which is then added up with all the previous terms, and that is supposed to equal 600. I am having issues figuring out what n should be

LCKurtz said:
Well, the first year the consumption, call it ##C## is ##600##. Next year it is ##600(1.01)##. Next year ##600(1.01)^2## and so on. What is it in year ##n##? What is the sum of those? Where exactly are you stuck?
First year consumption is 20 (million tons), rising by 1% each year.

Broo4075 said:
i think it's 20(1.01)^n, which is then added up with all the previous terms, and that is supposed to equal 600. I am having issues figuring out what n should be
20(1.01)n would be the consumption after n years. You're going to have to write a sum to represent the total consumption in all of the years. You can write the sum either as a summation or in expanded form.

Since you are learning about geometric series, there must be some presentation in your text about how to find the sum of a particular number of terms in a geometric series.

Related to Word Problem with Geometric Series

What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value called the common ratio. It follows the form of a1, a1r, a1r2, a1r3, ... where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio.

How do you find the sum of a geometric series?

The sum of a geometric series can be found using the formula Sn = a1(1 - rn)/(1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

What is the common ratio in a geometric series?

The common ratio in a geometric series is the constant value that is multiplied to each term to get the next term in the sequence.

How do you determine if a series is convergent?

A geometric series is convergent if the absolute value of the common ratio, r, is less than 1. This means that as you continue to add terms, the sum will approach a finite value.

What are some real-life applications of geometric series?

Geometric series have many real-life applications, such as calculating compound interest in finance, modeling population growth in biology, and determining the total distance traveled in an object's motion with constant acceleration in physics.