Work and Energy of an electric motor

Edit: I see that your attachment has now been approved.]By the way, I'm not sure why your class hasn't yet learned this equation: it's just the generalization ofW = ΔE_{\rm k} + ΔE_{\rm p}to a more general context than just conservative forces.[/SPOILER]In summary, the conversation discussed the use of an electric motor and a rope to pull a 10kg crate up an inclined plane, and how the force exerted on the crate by the motor can be shown on a graph. The conversation also included two questions, one regarding the work done on the crate from a distance of 0 to 10 meters, and the other regarding the
Inertialforce

Homework Statement

An electric motor and a rope are used to pull a 10kg crate of car parts up an inclined plane. The crate starts out from rest on the ground and ends up with a speed of "vf" at a height of 4.0m above the ground.

The graph provided shows the force exerted on the crate by the motor as it is pulled 10m up the inclined plane.

a) How much work is done on the crate by the electric motor from d=0 to d=10?

b) 150J of heat energy is produced through friction during the 10m pull. What is the final speed of the crate at d=10m?

Homework Equations

a) Work= area under the graph
Area of a Trapezoid = (1/2)*(a+c)*(b)

b) Δ E = Heat

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Work = area under the graph
W= (1/2)*(a+c)*(b)
W= (1/2)*(50+65)*(10)
W= 575J

b)ΔE= Heat
ΔEp + ΔEk = Heat
(Epf - Epi) + (Ekf - Eki) = 150J
(Epf- 0) + (Ekf - 0) = 150J
mghf + (1/2)mvf(squared) = 150J
((10)(9.80)(4.0)) + ((1/2)(m)(vf(squared)) = 150J
392 + ((1/2)(10)(vf(squared)) = 150J

this is where I run into the problem, if I try to isolate the vf by moving the 392 to the right side to subtract from the 150J I get a negative number which I will then have to square root which is impossible. I was just wondering whether I was going in the right direction ( for both questions "a" and "b") and if I am how am I supposed to isolate the vf here so that I can get an answer when I square root it?

Attachments

• work and energy.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Inertialforce,

I can't see your attachment yet, but something does not seem right to me.

Inertialforce said:

Homework Statement

An electric motor and a rope are used to pull a 10kg crate of car parts up an inclined plane. The crate starts out from rest on the ground and ends up with a speed of "vf" at a height of 4.0m above the ground.

The graph provided shows the force exerted on the crate by the motor as it is pulled 10m up the inclined plane.

a) How much work is done on the crate by the electric motor from d=0 to d=10?

b) 150J of heat energy is produced through friction during the 10m pull. What is the final speed of the crate at d=10m?

Homework Equations

a) Work= area under the graph
Area of a Trapezoid = (1/2)*(a+c)*(b)

b) Δ E = Heat

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Work = area under the graph
W= (1/2)*(a+c)*(b)
W= (1/2)*(50+65)*(10)
W= 575J

b)ΔE= Heat
ΔEp + ΔEk = Heat

These last two equations are not correct. There are two things wrong: the work you just found in part a is not included in your equation, and also you are not quite treating the thermal energy increase correctly.

Here is the work-energy equation

[tex]
W_{\rm nc} = \Delta E
[/tex]
so that the work done by non-conservative forces equals the change in energy.

The frictional force does a certain amount of negative work on the crate that shows up as heat. At this point we have a choice in how we view the problem. We can either track the work done by the frictional force or the increase in thermal energy. In this case, you are tracking the heat energy, so the +150J needs to be on the energy side of the equation.

(If instead of the heat, you were tracking the frictional work, it would -150J on the work side of the equation. So mathematically there is no difference.)

alphysicist said:
Hi Inertialforce,

I can't see your attachment yet, but something does not seem right to me.

These last two equations are not correct. There are two things wrong: the work you just found in part a is not included in your equation, and also you are not quite treating the thermal energy increase correctly.

Here is the work-energy equation

[tex]
W_{\rm nc} = \Delta E
[/tex]
so that the work done by non-conservative forces equals the change in energy.

The frictional force does a certain amount of negative work on the crate that shows up as heat. At this point we have a choice in how we view the problem. We can either track the work done by the frictional force or the increase in thermal energy. In this case, you are tracking the heat energy, so the +150J needs to be on the energy side of the equation.

(If instead of the heat, you were tracking the frictional work, it would -150J on the work side of the equation. So mathematically there is no difference.)

Would this be more accurate (or correct)?:

Wnc = ΔE
Wnc = (Epf-Epi) + (Ekf-Eki) + heat
575 = (Epf) + (Ekf) + heat
575 = (mghf) + ((1/2)mvf(squared)) + 150
575 - 150 = (10)(9.80)(4.0) + (1/2)(10)(vf(squared))
425 = 392 + (1/2)(10)(vf(squared))
425 - 392 = (1/2)(10)(vf(squared))
(33)(2) = (10)(vf(squared))
66/10 = vf(squared)
√6.6 = √vf(squared)
2.569046516 = vf
2.6 m/s = vf

Sorry but could you check and tell me if this is correct or if I am doing it correctly now, because our class has never (or hasn't yet) learned this equation (Wnc = ΔE) so I am unsure as to how to utilize the formula.

Inertialforce said:
Would this be more accurate (or correct)?:

Wnc = ΔE
Wnc = (Epf-Epi) + (Ekf-Eki) + heat
575 = (Epf) + (Ekf) + heat
575 = (mghf) + ((1/2)mvf(squared)) + 150
575 - 150 = (10)(9.80)(4.0) + (1/2)(10)(vf(squared))
425 = 392 + (1/2)(10)(vf(squared))
425 - 392 = (1/2)(10)(vf(squared))
(33)(2) = (10)(vf(squared))
66/10 = vf(squared)
√6.6 = √vf(squared)
2.569046516 = vf
2.6 m/s = vf

Sorry but could you check and tell me if this is correct or if I am doing it correctly now, because our class has never (or hasn't yet) learned this equation (Wnc = ΔE) so I am unsure as to how to utilize the formula.

The form of the equation looks right to me now; however I can't yet say everything is correct until the attachment in your original post is approved.

Related to Work and Energy of an electric motor

1. What is work and energy in the context of an electric motor?

Work is the amount of force applied to an object over a certain distance, resulting in the movement of the object. Energy is the ability to do work. In an electric motor, work is done by the conversion of electrical energy into mechanical energy, which results in the movement of the motor.

2. How does an electric motor convert electrical energy into mechanical energy?

An electric motor consists of a rotor and a stator. The stator is a stationary part that contains electromagnets, while the rotor is a rotating part with conductors. When an electric current flows through the electromagnets, a magnetic field is created which interacts with the magnetic field of the rotor, causing it to rotate and convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

3. What factors affect the work and energy output of an electric motor?

The work and energy output of an electric motor depends on several factors, including the voltage and current supplied to the motor, the strength of the magnetic field, the resistance of the conductors in the rotor, and the load or resistance the motor is working against.

4. Can an electric motor generate more energy than it consumes?

No, an electric motor cannot generate more energy than it consumes. The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. Therefore, the energy output of an electric motor cannot exceed the energy input.

5. How does the efficiency of an electric motor affect its work and energy output?

The efficiency of an electric motor is the ratio of output power to input power. A more efficient motor will have a higher work and energy output for the same amount of input power. This is because less energy is lost as heat or other forms of energy, resulting in more energy being converted into mechanical work.