Work and heat transferred in ideal engine

In summary, the conversation discusses an ideal engine containing one mole of ideal gas and its various states during different paths. The work and heat for each path are given in terms of T1, T2, C_p, C_V, and gamma. The efficiency of the engine is also calculated using the formula: efficiency = 1 - (T2*ln(T1/T2))/(T1-T2). After a discussion of the solution, it is determined that the work done during the adiabatic expansion is 0 and the overall solution is correct.
El Hombre Invisible
[SOLVED] Work and heat transferred in ideal engine

Homework Statement

System is ideal engine containing one mole of ideal gas.

System in initial state P1, V1, T1.
System undergoes free expansion along adiabat to P2, V2, T2.
System undergoes isothermal compression to P3, V3, T3.
System is heated along isochore back to P1, V1, T1.

Give the work and heat for each path in terms of T1, T2, and [tex] C_{P}, C_{V} and \gamma [/tex]. Show that the efficiency of the engine is:

[tex] \eta = 1 - \frac{T_{2} ln(T_{1}/T_{2})}{T_{1} - T_{2}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

From the above we see that V3 = V1 and T3 = T2.
Convention used is dU = dW + dQ

[tex] PV = nRT [/tex]
[tex] W = -\int P dV [/tex]
[tex] T_{1}V_{1}^{\gamma - 1} = T_{2}V_{2}^{\gamma - 1} [/tex]
[tex] C_{P} - C_{V} = nR [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first adiabatic path:

[tex] Q = 0 [/tex]
[tex] W = C_{V}(T_{1} - T_{2}) [/tex]

For the third, isochoral path:

[tex] W = 0 [/tex] since the volume is constant
[tex] Q = C_{V}(T_{1} - T_{2}) [/tex]

For the second, isothermal path, well: internal energy is constant, therefore:

[tex] W = -Q [/tex]
[tex] W = -\int _{V2} ^{V1} \frac{nRT_{2}}{V} dV
= (C_{P} - C_{V})T_{2} [ln(V_{2}) - ln(V_{1})] = (C_{P} - C_{V})T_{2} ln\left(\frac{V_{2}}{V_{1}}\right) [/tex]

This is where this gets awkward and I'd appreciate someone checking what I've done. Because I have W in terms of V but I want it in terms of T, I used:

[tex] T_{1}V_{1}^{\gamma - 1} = T_{2}V_{2}^{\gamma - 1} [/tex]
and took the [tex] \gamma - 1 [/tex] root, giving:

[tex] T_{1}^{\frac{1}{\gamma - 1}}V_{1} = T_{2}^{\frac{1}{\gamma - 1}}V_{2} [/tex]

Substituting into by expression for W:

[tex] W = (C_{P} - C_{V})T_{2} ln\left(\left(\frac{T_{1}}{T_{2}}\right)^\frac{1}{\gamma - 1}\right)
= (C_{P} - C_{V})T_{2} \frac{ln(T_{1}/T_{2})}{\gamma - 1} [/tex]

This seems an extreme solution. It also seems wrong since evaluating [tex] \eta = \frac{W}{Q} [/tex] does not give the desired equality. Any obvious errors?

Cheers,

El Hombre

Physics news on Phys.org
Won't the work done in the free expansion from (P1, V1, T1) to (P2, V2, T2) be 0 by definition? So, while the pressure and the volumes change, the temperature won't.

siddharth said:
Won't the work done in the free expansion from (P1, V1, T1) to (P2, V2, T2) be 0 by definition? So, while the pressure and the volumes change, the temperature won't.

Apologies, that should have been 'adiabatic expansion' not 'free expansion'. Turned out my solution was correct: I had stupidly used the net heat instead of the heat in when evaluating the efficiency though, so I thought, as I had expected, my method was wrong. All's well that ends well.

Thanks anyway...

El Hombre

Related to Work and heat transferred in ideal engine

1. What is an ideal engine?

An ideal engine is a theoretical concept that is used to describe a hypothetical engine that operates with perfect efficiency, meaning that all of the energy input is converted into useful work output without any losses.

2. How does work and heat transfer occur in an ideal engine?

In an ideal engine, work is performed by the engine as it converts heat energy into mechanical energy, which can then be used to do useful work. Heat is transferred into the engine from an external source, and the engine then converts this heat energy into work.

3. What is the difference between work and heat transfer in an ideal engine?

Work and heat transfer are both forms of energy transfer, but they have different characteristics. Work is the transfer of energy that leads to a displacement of the object, while heat transfer is the transfer of energy due to a temperature difference between two objects.

4. How is the efficiency of an ideal engine calculated?

The efficiency of an ideal engine is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input. This means that the efficiency is the ratio of the useful work produced by the engine to the total amount of heat energy supplied to the engine.

5. Can an engine ever truly be considered ideal?

No, an ideal engine is a theoretical concept and is not achievable in reality. Real engines will always have some level of inefficiency, meaning that not all of the input energy will be converted into useful work output.

Back