Work and kinetic energy problem

In summary, a roller coaster car with a mass of 2000 kg and initial speed of 10 m/s at the bottom of a loop with a diameter of 16 meters will experience an average force of 1500 N from air resistance and friction. To find the vertical distance the car will have moved when its speed is reduced to 5 m/s, the change in kinetic energy is calculated to be 75,000 J. Using the equations K=1/2(mv^2)f - 1/2(mv^2)i, s=r(theta), and r/(3.14/2)=[r-(delta y)/((3.14/2)-theta)], a formula can be derived to solve for the
rwinge

Homework Statement

A roller coaster car with a mass of 2000 kg is initially moving at 10 m/s (when it is at the bottom of the "loop-the-loop" portion of the roller coaster track). The loop has a diameter of 16 meters.

The combined effect of air resistance and friction is to produce an average force of 1500 N on the roller coaster car.

How far will the car have moved vertically when its speed has been reduced to 5 m/s?

Homework Equations

K= 1/2(mv^2)f - 1/2(mv^2)i
s=r(theta)
r/(3.14/2) = [r-(delta y)/((3.14/2)-theta)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the change in kinetic energy to be 75,000 J.
If I could draw a picture in here I would but I have made a triangle and used the bottom equation above to set up solving for the angle that the rollercoaster would reach at its peak vertical height. However I can't come up with a formula that will hold true for all angles. Does anyone have any ideas as where to move further

Physics news on Phys.org
? I used the equation K= 1/2(mv^2)f - 1/2(mv^2)i to solve for the final velocity (5 m/s). I then tried to use the equation s=r(theta) to solve for the theta, and then the equation r/(3.14/2) = [r-(delta y)/((3.14/2)-theta)] to solve for the delta y (distance moved vertically). However, I can't come up with a formula that will hold true for all angles. Does anyone have any ideas as where to move further?

Related to Work and kinetic energy problem

1. What is work and kinetic energy?

Work is the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How are work and kinetic energy related?

Work done on an object results in a change in its kinetic energy. The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

3. What is the equation for calculating work?

The equation for work is W = F * d * cos(theta), where F is the applied force, d is the displacement, and theta is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

4. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation K = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

5. How can work and kinetic energy be applied to real-life situations?

Work and kinetic energy can be applied to real-life situations such as calculating the amount of force needed to move an object, understanding the energy transfer in a car crash, or determining the efficiency of machines.