Work - Area under curve of F vs. d graph

In summary, the student is trying to find the Force required to move a cart from 2.5 to 4.2 ft. They are not sure how to find the Force or the Area under the curve. They are supposed to use the work-energy theorem but do not have the information needed.
jtw2e

Homework Statement

5487469616_5c78cee779_z.jpg

Homework Equations

W=FD
Area under curve = Work

The Attempt at a Solution

Note, although the problem doesn't say this, and the given graph and description are deceptive, Force is NOT constant.

I need to somehow find the Force required to move the cart from 2.5 to 4.2 ft so that I can find the area under the two sections... at least I think that's how to do it. But I have no idea how in the world to find the Force. I've tried work-energy theorem but don't have enough info (don't know v1 or v2 or accel).

Please help me understand this. They did not cover it or even address it in lecture and it was assigned today and is due tonight.

Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand, You must take the integral from 2.5-a to 4.2=b of the equation 28/2.5x and find the anti-derivative of 28/2.5x(11.2x), since for every 11.2 pounds a foot is increased and vice-versa, kind of like the spring constant in a spring if you are familiar with that.
you end up with 1/2 times 11.2 times (4.2 squared minus 2.5 squared) which is about 63.784lb-ft. is that the answer for a?
as far as for b, I think its just 11.2 times (4.2 squared minus 2.5 squared) since the anti-derivative of the 11.2x equation respresnts s(x) aka position and 11.2x itself respresents v(x) velocity. So, the answer for b is probably 127.568m/s. that the answer for b?

and when they mean force is not constant, it means that it changes as displacement does, there for you would acquire an equation of the increase of force as displacement increases. so the formula would be 28lb/2.5meters, which is 11.2lb/m or 11.2x.

Rayquesto said:
and when they mean force is not constant, it means that it changes as displacement does, there for you would acquire an equation of the increase of force as displacement increases. so the formula would be 28lb/2.5meters, which is 11.2lb/m or 11.2x.

Rayquesto said:
As I understand, You must take the integral from 2.5-a to 4.2=b of the equation 28/2.5x and find the anti-derivative of 28/2.5x(11.2x), since for every 11.2 pounds a foot is increased and vice-versa, kind of like the spring constant in a spring if you are familiar with that.
you end up with 1/2 times 11.2 times (4.2 squared minus 2.5 squared) which is about 63.784lb-ft. is that the answer for a?
as far as for b, I think its just 11.2 times (4.2 squared minus 2.5 squared) since the anti-derivative of the 11.2x equation respresnts s(x) aka position and 11.2x itself respresents v(x) velocity. So, the answer for b is probably 127.568m/s. that the answer for b?

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, but we are not covering integrals until next semester; the only concept we're supposed to use is dealing with finding the Area of trapezoids under the curve with regular geometry. And also k = 1/2mv^2, and possibly Wtot=K2 - K1. So I don't know the technique to take the integral or find an anti-derivative, and am expected to solve this by a different method. :( I'm sorry, I do not know whether our value for a) and b) are correct.

Last edited:
AH darn! That makes things too complicated. riemann sums are really tough. so what you should do instead is just find the area under the curve. so A(x)= the limit as n approaches infinity of the sigma series (i/n)(11.2x) where i is n(nplus 1)/2 and n is the amount of squares ...so A(x)=(11.2x/n)(n^2plusn)/2=11.2xnplus 11.2x/2 and suppose we have 100 squares. at x=2.5 which would be 1414 oh crap I am sorry this isn't right but i got to go. be back in a few minutes.

FAQ: Work - Area under curve of F vs. d graph

1. What is the significance of the area under a F vs. d graph in relation to work?

The area under a F vs. d graph represents the total amount of work done on an object by a force. This is because work is defined as the product of force and displacement, and the area under the graph is the total displacement multiplied by the average force.

2. How is the area under the curve calculated?

The area under the curve can be calculated by dividing the graph into smaller rectangles and adding up the area of each rectangle using the formula A = bh, where b is the base (d) and h is the height (F). As the rectangles become smaller and closer together, the approximation of the area under the curve becomes more accurate.

3. What does the slope of a F vs. d graph represent?

The slope of a F vs. d graph represents the force applied to an object at a specific displacement. This is because slope is calculated by dividing the change in y (F) by the change in x (d), which is equivalent to the force divided by the displacement.

4. How does the shape of a F vs. d graph affect the work done?

The shape of a F vs. d graph can affect the work done in different ways. For example, a constant force results in a straight line graph, where the area under the curve is a rectangle. In this case, the work done is simply the product of the constant force and displacement. However, a varying force can result in a curved graph, where the area under the curve is a trapezoid. In this case, the work done is calculated using the trapezoid rule.

5. What are some real-life applications of the F vs. d graph and its area under the curve?

The F vs. d graph and its area under the curve have many real-life applications, such as calculating the work done by a car's engine to move a certain distance, determining the energy output of a machine, and analyzing the stress and strain of a material under varying forces. It is also used in physics experiments to study the relationship between force and displacement.