Work at constant velocity conundrum

In summary: I am not sure I completely get it. Does this mean that when we are calculating the work done by the tension we don't consider the work done by gravity? I guess I am confused as to why you can't just add the work done by both the tension and gravity to find the total work done on the object. Why do we only look at one?In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done on an object when lifting it from one point to another with a tension in the string at constant velocity. It is explained that the work done by the tension is equally opposed by gravity, resulting in a net work of 0. However, the object still gains potential energy due to the work done by the
FistLength

Homework Statement

Lifting an object from point A to point B with a tension T in the string at constant velocity. What is the work done on the object?

Homework Equations

Work=Force x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Net force = T - mg
Net F = 0 because acceleration = 0
T = mg

W = F * D

But net force is 0 because it is at constant velocity. I understand that the tension T does work =mgH
and gravity does work = -mgh
so net W= 0
but it gains potential energy...even though no work was done on it? How is this possible?

Here is the idea
http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/physics/phynet/mechanics/energy/lifting_a_book.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define potential energy?
The change in potential energy is due to the work done by the tension in the string.

potential energy = mass*gravity*height
The work done by the tension is equally opposed by gravity, and net work on the block is 0, yet it gains potential energy.

Say instead of vertical we moved the block horizontal on a table at constant velocity. We would say that there is no change in energy because work on the block is 0. But when we move it against gravity at constant velocity, there is a change in energy, namely change in potential energy. This doesn't make intuitive sense to me.

I am pretty lay when it comes to physics so please excuse my ignorance

Hi FistLength! Welcome to PF! :smile:
FistLength said:
The work done by the tension is equally opposed by gravity, and net work on the block is 0, yet it gains potential energy.

Say instead of vertical we moved the block horizontal on a table at constant velocity. We would say that there is no change in energy because work on the block is 0. But when we move it against gravity at constant velocity, there is a change in energy, namely change in potential energy. This doesn't make intuitive sense to me.

Books tend not to discuss whether to put gravity on the LHS or the RHS of work done = change in mechanical energy.

If you regard gravity as a force, then it goes on the LHS only (and in your example, the change in mechanical energy is then zero, since it is only the kinetic energy: there is no potential energy).

But if you regard gravity as an energy field, then it goes on the RHS only (and in your example, the only work done is that done by the tension). :wink:

FistLength said:
No, this is not the definition but an expression for change in PE for a specific case.

The potential energy associated with a force is given by
ΔPE=-W
where W is the work of that force.
So the gravitational potential energy is
ΔPE=-W_gravity

The rest, as tiny-tim said.
Either use PE or the work done by gravity but not both.

tiny-tim said:
Hi FistLength! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Books tend not to discuss whether to put gravity on the LHS or the RHS of work done = change in mechanical energy.

If you regard gravity as a force, then it goes on the LHS only (and in your example, the change in mechanical energy is then zero, since it is only the kinetic energy: there is no potential energy).

But if you regard gravity as an energy field, then it goes on the RHS only (and in your example, the only work done is that done by the tension). :wink:

Ok I am kinda making sense of this. I don't understand the left hand side/right hand side of what you are saying. Is it possible to write a simple equation for me to see what you are talking about for both instances? Or another way to explain?

nasu said:
No, this is not the definition but an expression for change in PE for a specific case.

The potential energy associated with a force is given by
ΔPE=-W
where W is the work of that force.
So the gravitational potential energy is
ΔPE=-W_gravity

The rest, as tiny-tim said.

Why can't you look at work done by the string and work done by gravity in the same way you would for the example of friction vs tension acting on a block moving horizontally at a constant velocity. In the latter you say add the net work, in the former we are supposed to only look at one? Why? Maybe I did not understand the explanation (likely)

Hi FistLength! :smile:
FistLength said:
I don't understand the left hand side/right hand side of what you are saying. Is it possible to write a simple equation for me to see what you are talking about for both instances?

If something falls a distance h from speed u to speed v,

then we can write the work-energy equation work done = change in mechanical energy (W = ∆E) as:

mg*h = ∆KE = 1/2 m (v2 - u2)

or

0 = ∆KE + ∆PE = 1/2 m (v2 - u2) - mgh

in the first equation, gravity is a force and features in the work done (LHS); in the second, it is not a force, but features as potential energy (RHS)

as nasu says :smile:
nasu said:

tiny-tim said:
Hi FistLength! :smile:

If something falls a distance h from speed u to speed v,

then we can write the work-energy equation work done = change in mechanical energy (W = ∆E) as:

mg*h = ∆KE = 1/2 m (v2 - u2)

or

0 = ∆KE + ∆PE = 1/2 m (v2 - u2) - mgh

in the first equation, gravity is a force and features in the work done (LHS); in the second, it is not a force, but features as potential energy (RHS)

as nasu says :smile:

Thanks

Related to Work at constant velocity conundrum

1. What is the "work at constant velocity conundrum"?

The "work at constant velocity conundrum" refers to the concept in physics where an object moves at a constant velocity, but there is no work being done on the object. This can be confusing because we usually associate work with movement or change in position.

2. How can an object move at a constant velocity without any work being done?

This is because work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. If an object is moving at a constant velocity, there is no acceleration, and therefore no force acting on the object. Without any force, there is no work being done.

3. Does this mean that no energy is being transferred to the object?

No, even though no work is being done, energy can still be transferred to the object through other means. For example, if a moving object collides with another object, energy can be transferred through the collision, even though no work is being done on the object.

4. How does this concept apply to real-life situations?

In real-life situations, it is rare for an object to move at a constant velocity without any work being done on it. Most objects experience some form of friction or resistance, which means there is a force acting on the object and work is being done. However, in ideal situations where there is no friction, the concept of "work at constant velocity conundrum" may apply.

5. What is the significance of understanding this concept?

Understanding this concept is important in the field of physics because it helps us to better understand the relationship between work, force, and energy. It also allows us to make accurate calculations and predictions in ideal situations where there is no friction or resistance. Additionally, this concept can also be applied to other areas such as economics, where the concept of "work" can be applied in different contexts.