Work done by a tangential force

So T2 = U1-2 = (60*0.1π) - mg(0.3) = 28.622J. The net energy input is 60J (force multiplied by distance traveled) and the change in system energy is 28.622J (difference between T2 and U1). Therefore, they are not equal and my answer is still incorrect. In summary, the problem involves a 4-kg ball attached to a light rod rotating in the vertical plane about a fixed axis. It is released from rest and moves under the action of a 60-N force normal to the rod. The velocity of the ball as it approaches is being calculated using the equations T2 = U1-2,
Zang

Homework Statement

The 4-kg ball and the attached light rod rotate in the vertical plane about the fixed axis at O. If the assembly is released from rest at and moves under the action of the 60-N force, which is maintained normal to the rod, determine the velocity v of the ball as approaches . Treat the ball as a particle.

Homework Equations

T2 = U1-2 + T1
s = rθ
T = 0.5mv2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

200mm = 0.2m; 300mm = 0.3m
s = 0.2(π/2) = 0.1π
T1 = 0
T2 = U1-2 = 60(0.1π) + mg(0.3) = 30.622J
v = ((2*30.622)/4)0.5 = 3.91 m/s but my answer is wrong

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 860
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not following your symbology. But it looks like you took the work done (force tangent to circular arc, multiplied by distance traveled), then you add that to the increase in gravitational potential energy and equate that to the kinetic energy?

What is the net energy input? What is the change in system energy? Those two must equal each other.

Last edited:
Likes Zang
scottdave said:
I am not following your symbology. But it looks like you took the work done (force tangent to circular arc, multiplied by distance traveled), then you add that to the increase in gravitational potential energy and equate that to the kinetic energy?

What is the energy input? What is the change in system energy? Those two must equal each other.
In my textbook, U is work and T is kinetic energy. I just figured out I was supposed to subtract the work done by gravity, not add.

Likes scottdave

FAQ: Work done by a tangential force

1. What is work done by a tangential force?

Work done by a tangential force is the energy transferred to an object by a force acting in a direction perpendicular to the object's motion. This type of work changes the speed or direction of an object's motion.

2. How is work done by a tangential force calculated?

The formula for calculating work done by a tangential force is W = F * d * sinθ, where W is work, F is the magnitude of the force, d is the distance moved by the object, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

3. What is the relationship between work done by a tangential force and kinetic energy?

Work done by a tangential force is equal to the change in kinetic energy of an object. This means that when work is done by a tangential force, the object's kinetic energy either increases or decreases, depending on the direction of the force.

4. Can work done by a tangential force be negative?

Yes, work done by a tangential force can be negative. This occurs when the force and the direction of motion are in opposite directions, resulting in a decrease in the object's kinetic energy.

5. How does the angle between the force and the direction of motion affect the work done by a tangential force?

The angle between the force and the direction of motion affects the work done by a tangential force by changing the amount of force that is applied in the direction of motion. The greater the angle, the less force is applied in the direction of motion, resulting in less work being done.