Work done by friction and change in mechanical energy

In summary, the worker is attempting to slide a 12-kg crate up a 2.5-m-long ramp with an initial speed of 5 m/s, but friction causes the crate to only slide 1.6m up the ramp before stopping and sliding back down. The magnitude of the friction force acting on the crate is found to be constant. When considering the entire path traveled by the crate, the work done by friction is negative for both the uphill slide and the downhill return. This is due to the fact that friction is a nonconservative force and its work depends on the path taken.
henry3369
We want to slide a 12-kg crate up a 2.5-m-long ramp inclined at . A worker, ignoring friction, calculates that he can do this by giving it an initial speed of 5 m/s at the bottom and letting it go. But friction is not negligible; the crate slides only 1.6m up the ramp, stops, and slides back down (Fig. 7.11a). (a) Find the magnitude of the friction force acting on the crate, assuming that it is constant. (b) How fast is the crate moving when it reaches the bottom of the ramp?

So I'm mainly confused about part b. I know how to get the answer, but I'm confused about why I include the distance traveled up the ramp as well as down the ramp when finding the work done by friction. If I set the starting position at to be the top of the ramp to solve the problem, the block only travels a distance of 1.6 meters not 1.6*2 meters so why do I include the entire path traveled? Also wouldn't work done by friction be zero if you do include the entire distance traveled because Work = Force * displacement and since the stating position is the same as the ending position, the displacement is zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh. I read the solution incorrectly. But I'm still curious if work done by friction is zero if the initial and final position is the same.

The direction of the friction force is opposite to the direction of motion for both the uphill slide and the downhill return. That means that the work done by friction on the crate will be negative for both halves of the round trip.

The statement that work is force*displacement is not generally true as you have perhaps just discovered. Generally speaking, the work done by a force depends on the path it takes between two points; the total work done by a force is the integral of the dot product of the force and its differential displacement evaluated along the path.

Work done by conservative forces is independent of the path (this is what defines a conservative force). All conservative forces can be derived from potential functions which is why conservative forces have corresponding potential energies. The work done by friction is certainly not path independent; if you go around in a circular path with zero displacement the force of friction will still have done work. Friction is a nonconservative force.

Interestingly (at least as far as I know), all forces are fundamentally conservative - including friction. The work done by friction ends up as kinetic energy of the atoms on the surfaces in contact. Obviously, it would be impossible (or at least insuperably difficult) to account for all the molecular motions happening with friction. These hidden degrees of freedom are accounted for by introducing the concept of nonconservative forces.

Related to Work done by friction and change in mechanical energy

What is the definition of work done by friction?

The work done by friction is the force required to overcome the resistance produced by the surface of an object in motion. It is the product of the coefficient of friction and the normal force acting on the object.

How does friction affect the change in mechanical energy of an object?

Friction causes a decrease in the mechanical energy of an object. This is because some of the energy is converted into heat due to the resistance produced by the surface of the object.

Can work be done by friction on an object that is not moving?

Yes, work can still be done by friction on an object that is not moving. This is because friction still produces a force that acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, causing a resistance and therefore work to be done.

What is the relationship between friction and the surface area of an object?

The greater the surface area of an object, the greater the friction. This is because a larger surface area means more points of contact between the object and the surface, resulting in more resistance and therefore more work done by friction.

How can the work done by friction be minimized?

The work done by friction can be minimized by reducing the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, using lubricants, or by reducing the surface area of the object in contact with the surface.