Work done by gravity by Wonder Woman

In summary, Wonder Woman, with a mass of 52 kg, does work against gravity by holding onto a 13.0 m rope, which is fixed to a tree limb. When she swings to a ledge at a 60 degree angle with the downward vertical axis, she does work equal to the change in gravitational potential energy from hanging vertically to being on the ledge. The final equation is W=m*g*Δh=m*g*(13-13*cos(θ)).
venceslau
Work done against gravity by Wonder Woman

Homework Statement

Wonder Woman, whose mass is 52 kg, is holding onto the free end of a 13.0 m rope, the other end of which is fixed to a tree limb above. She is able to get the rope in motion so that she can reach a ledge when the rope makes a 60 degree angle with the downward vertical axis. How much work does Wonder Woman do against the force of gravity?

Homework Equations

W=mgdcos(θ) ...maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm having a hard time even understanding the wording of the problem itself (ESL). Are they telling me she swung over to a ledge, and want me to calculate the work of gravity when she's by that ledge? I don't get it...some insight on what is being asked would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Filipe

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
venceslau said:

Homework Statement

Wonder Woman, whose mass is 52 kg, is holding onto the free end of a 13.0 m rope, the other end of which is fixed to a tree limb above. She is able to get the rope in motion so that she can reach a ledge when the rope makes a 60 degree angle with the downward vertical axis. How much work does Wonder Woman do against the force of gravity?

Homework Equations

W=mgdcos(θ) ...maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm having a hard time even understanding the wording of the problem itself (ESL). Are they telling me she swung over to a ledge, and want me to calculate the work of gravity when she's by that ledge? I don't get it...some insight on what is being asked would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Filipe

I suspect the work done will simply equal the change in Gravitational potential energy compared to hanging vertically, and being on the ledge.

PeterO said:
I suspect the work done will simply equal the change in Gravitational potential energy compared to hanging vertically, and being on the ledge.

Ohh...I feel so dumb now. lol.
So, will it be just the change in potential energy for Δh?

[STRIKE]So final equation is W=m*g*Δh=m*g*(30-30*cos(θ)) ?[/STRIKE]
So final equation is W=m*g*Δh=m*g*(13-13*cos(θ)) ?

Thanks

Last edited:
venceslau said:
Ohh...I feel so dumb now. lol.
So, will it be just the change in potential energy for Δh?

So final equation is W=m*g*Δh=m*g*(30-30*cos(θ)) ?

Thanks

I think the figure [rope length] in the original was 13 not 30?
I appreciate the ESL difficulty with written questions.

PeterO said:
I think the figure [rope length] in the original was 13 not 30?
I appreciate the ESL difficulty with written questions.

Thanks for pointing that out! Fixed.
I am the worst for making dumb mistakes like that.

I appreciate your quick reply, I can now finish my homework. :)

FAQ: Work done by gravity by Wonder Woman

1. What is work done by gravity?

The work done by gravity is the amount of energy required to move an object against the force of gravity. It is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the distance an object is moved.

2. How does Wonder Woman use gravity in her work?

Wonder Woman is able to manipulate the force of gravity, allowing her to lift and move objects with ease. She can also use gravity to increase her own strength and agility.

3. Can the work done by gravity be negative?

Yes, the work done by gravity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. This means that the object is losing energy as it moves.

4. What is the unit of measurement for work done by gravity?

The unit of measurement for work done by gravity is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure other forms of work and energy.

5. Is the work done by gravity the same on all objects?

No, the work done by gravity depends on the mass and distance of the object. Heavier objects or objects that are farther from the source of gravity will require more work to move them.