Work done by the tension on a cable

In summary, the problem involves a crane lifting a 1250 kg load with a constant velocity over a vertical distance of 8 m. The question asks for the work done by the tension in the crane cable, which can be calculated using the formula W = Fd. Since the acceleration is zero, the tension is equal to the weight of the object, which is the mass (1250 kg) multiplied by gravity (9.81 m/s^2). The final answer is 98100 J.
discosucks

Homework Statement

A crane lifts a 1250 kg load directly upward with a constant speed through a vertical
distance of 8 m. How much work is done by the tension in the crane cable?

Homework Equations

Im thinking its the work equation but this is were i got stuck

W = m(as)

The Attempt at a Solution

got confused right away on this one my thinking is

m = 1250
s = 8
a = is this zero seeing as its constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
discosucks said:
Im thinking its the work equation but this is were i got stuck
discosucks said:
W = m(as)
Where did you get that formula?

What's the most basic definition of work?

work is when a force moves its point of application through a distance .

isnt that the same as W = Fs?

discosucks said:
work is when a force moves its point of application through a distance .

isnt that the same as W = Fs?
That's the equation that you need. What's "F" in this problem?

Doc Al said:
That's the equation that you need. What's "F" in this problem?

force? and that would be the mass x the acceleration

but what do i say the acceleration is seeing as I am told its constant?

discosucks said:
force?
What force? (What force is doing the work in this problem?)

discosucks said:
and that would be the mass x the acceleration
No. Mass x acceleration gives you the net force on something.

discosucks said:
but what do i say the acceleration is seeing as I am told its constant?
The acceleration would be zero.

Im pretty confused now lol but I'm going to say its gravitational force bearing down ?

Draw a FBD. Find the FT and then plug and chug into W = F x d

discosucks said:
Im pretty confused now lol but I'm going to say its gravitational force bearing down ?

In order to be simple, physics exercises are often unrealistic. To lift a real object, a real crane probabily doesn't raise it at a constant velocity. In a real situation there is a fluctuating imbalance of forces, so there are small accelerations (and decelerations) of the load as it rises.

In this problem, you are told the obejct is lifted with a constant velocity. Theoretically, to lift a object with a constant velocity, you could exert a force on it that exactly cancels gravity. (Tie a big helium balloon to it.) The object would be "levitated". Then you give the object a nudge and it would move upward at a constant velocity. There would be no net force on the object. One can still ask what work is done just by force that is canceling gravity. That work is non-zero.

You have to pretend the crane is levitating the object and you have to ignore whatever work was done to start the object on its way up with a constant velocity.

discosucks said:
You're asked to find the work done by the tension, so you need the tension. (Since the acceleration is zero, that tension will equal the weight of the object.)

So its just the weight by the distance seing as the acceleration is zero?

1250 x 8 = 10000 J ?

discosucks said:
So its just the weight by the distance seing as the acceleration is zero?
Yes.

discosucks said:
1250 x 8 = 10000 J ?
1250 is not the weight.

Sorry i think i get it now

the weight is the mass times gravity

1250 x 9.81 =12262.5

12262.5 x 8 = 98100 J .

Good!

Related to Work done by the tension on a cable

1. What is work done by the tension on a cable?

The work done by the tension on a cable refers to the energy required to move an object against the force of tension exerted by the cable. It is a measure of the force and distance involved in moving the object.

2. How is work done by the tension on a cable calculated?

The work done by the tension on a cable is calculated by multiplying the force exerted by the cable by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force. This formula can be represented as W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the tension force, and d is the distance.

3. Does the direction of the tension force affect the work done by the cable?

Yes, the direction of the tension force does affect the work done by the cable. The work done will be positive if the force and displacement are in the same direction, and negative if they are in opposite directions. This is because work is a scalar quantity and does not take into account the direction of the force.

4. How does the angle of the cable affect the work done by the tension force?

The angle of the cable affects the work done by the tension force by changing the effective force acting in the direction of displacement. The component of the tension force in the direction of displacement will be greater if the cable is at a smaller angle, resulting in more work being done.

5. Is the work done by the tension on a cable always equal to the work done on the object?

No, the work done by the tension on a cable is not always equal to the work done on the object. This is because there may be other forces acting on the object, such as friction, that also do work. The work done by the tension only accounts for the energy required to move the object against the force of tension.