Work Done in a polytropic process

In summary, a gas is trapped in a cylinder-piston arrangement. The pressure and volume are 13,789.5 Pa and 0.02832 m^3. To find the work done on the gas when the volume is increased to 0.08496 m^3, the equation would be P1*V1*ln(V2/V1). This can be simplified to P=K*V, where P is the work done, K is the constant, and V is the volume.
juggalomike

Homework Statement

A gas is trapped in a cylinder-piston arrangement. The initial pressure and volume are 13,789.5 Pa and 0.02832 m^3. Determine the work(kj) assuming that the volume is increased to 0.08496 m^3 in a polytropic process with n=1.

Homework Equations

m_1-2=∫PdV from 1 to 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the equation for n=1 i would use is P1*V1*ln(V2/V1), however i have to show how i would get that from the intial integral, and i am completely lost as to how i can get there.

Also if this is not the correct forum for this post i am sorry, please let me know and i will
re-post it in the correct location.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ln term comes about because the integral of 1/x is ln(x).
Search wikibooks for polytropic process.

juggalomike said:

Homework Statement

A gas is trapped in a cylinder-piston arrangement. The initial pressure and volume are 13,789.5 Pa and 0.02832 m^3. Determine the work(kj) assuming that the volume is increased to 0.08496 m^3 in a polytropic process with n=1.

Homework Equations

m_1-2=∫PdV from 1 to 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the equation for n=1 i would use is P1*V1*ln(V2/V1), however i have to show how i would get that from the intial integral, and i am completely lost as to how i can get there.

Also if this is not the correct forum for this post i am sorry, please let me know and i will
re-post it in the correct location.
Express P as a function of V and integrate. Since n=1 in [itex]PV^n = K[/itex], this is rather simple.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Express P as a function of V and integrate. Since n=1 in [itex]PV^n = K[/itex], this is rather simple.

AM

Thanks a lot, knew it wasn't a hard question was just stuck on the sub part.

I would like to clarify that the term "work" in this context refers to thermodynamic work, which is the energy transferred to or from a system due to a change in its volume. The equation for work done in a polytropic process is W = ∫PdV, where P is the pressure and V is the volume. In this case, the value of n=1 indicates that the process is isothermal, meaning that the temperature remains constant throughout the process.

To solve for the work done, we can use the equation W = P1*V1*ln(V2/V1), where P1 is the initial pressure and V1 is the initial volume, and V2 is the final volume in the process. Plugging in the given values, we get W = 13,789.5 Pa * 0.02832 m^3 * ln(0.08496 m^3 / 0.02832 m^3) = 1.47 kJ. This represents the amount of energy transferred to the gas during the process.

To show how this equation is derived from the initial integral, we can start with the general equation for work done in a polytropic process, W = ∫PdV. Since n=1, we can rewrite this as W = ∫P1(V/V1)dV. We can then rearrange this as W = P1*V1*∫(V/V1)dV. By integrating, we get W = P1*V1*(V2-V1)/V1 = P1*V1*(V2/V1 - 1). Since V2/V1 is equal to 3 in this case, the equation simplifies to W = P1*V1*ln(3). Plugging in the given values for P1 and V1, we get the same result of 1.47 kJ.

In conclusion, the work done in this polytropic process is 1.47 kJ. It is important to note that this value only represents the energy transferred to the gas, and does not take into account any other forms of energy, such as heat or internal energy. As a scientist, it is important to consider all factors and variables in a system to fully understand and analyze a process.

Related to Work Done in a polytropic process

1. What is work done in a polytropic process?

The work done in a polytropic process is the energy that is transferred to or from a system as a result of changes in its volume and pressure. It is a measure of the mechanical work done by or on the system.

2. How is work done calculated in a polytropic process?

The work done in a polytropic process can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W represents work, P represents pressure, and ΔV represents the change in volume.

3. What is the significance of a polytropic process in thermodynamics?

A polytropic process is significant in thermodynamics because it describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a system. It is commonly used to analyze and understand the behavior of gases.

4. Can work done in a polytropic process be negative?

Yes, work done in a polytropic process can be negative. This occurs when the system is expanding and work is done by the system, rather than on the system. This can happen, for example, when gas is allowed to expand against a piston.

5. How does the value of the polytropic index affect the work done in a polytropic process?

The polytropic index, represented by the letter n, affects the work done in a polytropic process by determining the type of process that is taking place. A higher value of n indicates a steeper slope on a pressure-volume graph, representing a more rapid change in the system and therefore a higher amount of work done.