Work Done line Integral question - Electrostatics - help please

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of ##\vec E## being curl free and finding the correct answer for the expression ##q\int_{(0,0,0)}^{(x_1, y_1,0)} \vec E\cdot \vec{dl}##. The speaker initially made a small mistake in the calculation, but it is later corrected and verified by checking with another path. They also mention the importance of having faith and being open to corrections.
smileandbehappy
16751527103_7b9f233588_b.jpg

17345858046_fe1f8aaecc_b.jpg

Can anyone please tell me where I am going wrong? I am getting the incorrect answer for the Word Done should be: WD = q(3x^2-6y) ...

Apologies for not changing it into the format on here - but for my revision I have pretty much done that myself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You showed that ##\vec E## as given is curl free. Well done.
Then you worked out that ##\displaystyle q\int_{(0,0,0)}^{(x_1, y_1,0)} \vec E\cdot \vec{dl} = q\left(3x_1^2y_1 - y_1^3\right )## (small omission of the ##^2## ).

To check it, you could verify that ##V = -\nabla\cdot E## is satisfied if ##-V(x,y,z) = 3x^2y - y^3## and then you can immediately see that W.D. is what you found (when you fix the missing square) and not q(3x2-6y).

You could double check with another path: from (0,0,0) to (0, y1, 0) and then to ( x1, 0, 0) which givves the very same result.

Have some faith and if we're both wrong don't hesitate to inform me with another post ! I love (:wink:) to be corrected when I'm wrong.

(happens all the time :cry: )
-

Thanks - I guess I was just doubting myself! Really appreciate you helping me out like that. Sam.

FAQ: Work Done line Integral question - Electrostatics - help please

1. What is a Work Done line Integral in Electrostatics?

A Work Done line Integral is a mathematical concept used in electrostatics to calculate the amount of work done by an electric field on a charged particle as it moves along a given path. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of the electric field, as well as the distance traveled by the particle.

2. How is a Work Done line Integral calculated?

To calculate a Work Done line Integral, you need to first determine the path or curve along which the charged particle is moving. Then, you integrate the dot product of the electric field and the differential distance along this path. This gives you the total work done by the electric field on the particle.

3. Why is it important to calculate Work Done line Integrals in electrostatics?

Calculating Work Done line Integrals is important in electrostatics because it helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in an electric field. It allows us to quantify the amount of work done by the electric field, which can be useful in various applications such as designing electronic circuits or understanding the motion of charged particles in a vacuum.

4. Can you give an example of a Work Done line Integral in electrostatics?

One example of a Work Done line Integral in electrostatics is calculating the work done by an electric field on a charged particle as it moves from one point to another. For instance, if a charge of +2C is moved from a point A to a point B in an electric field with a magnitude of 10N/C, the Work Done line Integral would be 20J, assuming the path taken is a straight line.

5. How does a Work Done line Integral differ from a regular line integral?

A Work Done line Integral differs from a regular line integral in that it specifically takes into account the work done by an electric field on a charged particle. Regular line integrals, on the other hand, can be used to calculate other quantities such as distance or displacement along a given path.