Work Done on Pulley System: 840J

• Thread starter V1NW3N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: So, in the case of the person, 140 N is the force applied, and the distance is the distance the person pulls the rope.I meant the force that the pulley system exerts on the box, not the net force on the box. :smile: That's the force doing the work against gravity on the box, which is what we care about here.
V1NW3N

Homework Statement

The pulley system has a mechanical advantage of 3. You want to lift the box weighing 420N 6m above the ground. You pull 18m of rope with 140N of force. What is the work done? (Ignoring the angle)

Homework Equations

Work=force*distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that since the box moved 6m, and you put in 140N of force, so 6* 140= 840J of work.

Physics news on Phys.org
V1NW3N said:

Homework Statement

The pulley system has a mechanical advantage of 3. You want to lift the box weighing 420N 6m above the ground. You pull 18m of rope with 140N of force. What is the work done? (Ignoring the angle)

Homework Equations

Work=force*distance

I thought that since the box moved 6m, and you put in 140N of force, so 6* 140= 840J of work.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

The work equals the change in gravitational potential energy. The pulley system does not change that.

The pulley just let's you use less force over a longer distance. Makes sense? What is your revised answer? :smile:

Likes V1NW3N
V1NW3N said:
No. The force of 140 N is exerted over a distance of 18 m. (The box moves 6 m, but the force on the box equals its weight, not 140 N.)

Likes V1NW3N and berkeman
V1NW3N said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Work=force*distance

When asking work, it should be specified "work of what force on what body".
The 140 N force is applied on the rope. The work of that force multiplied by the displacement of the point of attack of the force gives the work of that force.
The mechanical advantage of the pulley system is 3, so the force experienced by the box is 420 N. That should be multiplied by the displacement of the box to get the work done on the box by the 420 N force.
If there is no friction, the pulleys are ideal, then these works are equal.

Likes V1NW3N
thanks I got it now, the work is 2520N

V1NW3N said:
thanks I got it now, the work is 2520N

The unit of work is joule (J). N (Newton) is force.

Doc Al said:
No. The force of 140 N is exerted over a distance of 18 m. (The box moves 6 m, but the force on the box equals its weight, not 140 N.)
Well, the force on the box is equal its weight and the tension from the pulley system, in opposite direction. If it does not accelerate, the net force on the box is zero.

ehild said:
Well, the force on the box is equal its weight and the tension from the pulley system, in opposite direction. If it does not accelerate, the net force on the box is zero.
I meant the force that the pulley system exerts on the box, not the net force on the box. :smile: That's the force doing the work against gravity on the box, which is what we care about here.

Similarly, it's the force that the person exerts on the rope that matters, not the net force on the rope.

Related to Work Done on Pulley System: 840J

1. How is work calculated in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the pulley by the distance the object moves. This is represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. How do multiple pulleys affect the amount of work done?

Multiple pulleys can affect the amount of work done in a few ways. First, it can decrease the amount of force needed to lift an object, as the weight of the object is distributed among the pulleys. However, this also means the distance the object moves will increase, resulting in the same amount of work being done overall.

3. Can work be negative in a pulley system?

Yes, work can be negative in a pulley system. This occurs when the force applied to the pulley is in the opposite direction of the object's movement. In this case, the work done on the object is considered to be negative.

4. How does the efficiency of a pulley system affect the work done?

The efficiency of a pulley system affects the work done by reducing the amount of work input needed. Efficiency is calculated by dividing the work output by the work input. The higher the efficiency, the less work input is needed to achieve the same work output.

5. How does the weight of the object affect the work done on a pulley system?

The weight of the object affects the work done in a pulley system by determining the amount of force needed to lift the object. The heavier the object, the more force is needed, resulting in more work being done. However, the distance the object moves will also affect the work done, so a heavier object may not necessarily result in more work being done overall.