Work done on real thermodynamic data

In summary, Aldo is trying to find the work done for the real experimental data. He is unsure whether the trapz function in MATLAB is correct, and he needs to do numerical integration to find the work done.
aldo sebastian

Homework Statement

I have the data for a p-v diagram from experiment of a fluid (the fluid is unknown). The data is attached below as the crosses. It also has the approximated ideal cycle for that data. Does anyone know how to find the work done for this real experimental data? Maybe a MATLAB command or some other software? Also, would v2/v1 be the compression ratio for this cycle?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the trapz function in MATLAB however unsure whether it is correct or not.

Attachments

• graph 1.jpg
    graph 1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how work is defined as the cyclic integral of P with respect to V? You may very well need to do some numerical integration, and you may (or may not) want to use some interpolation/extrapolation to augment the data to what you think is the true curve in regions that are poorly defined.

aldo sebastian said:

Homework Statement

I have the data for a p-v diagram from experiment of a fluid (the fluid is unknown). The data is attached below as the crosses. It also has the approximated ideal cycle for that data. Does anyone know how to find the work done for this real experimental data? Maybe a MATLAB command or some other software? Also, would v2/v1 be the compression ratio for this cycle?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the trapz function in MATLAB however unsure whether it is correct or not.
Are there analytic expressions fitted to the ideal cycle?

Chestermiller said:
Are there analytic expressions fitted to the ideal cycle?

Yes there are. The power stroke is pv^-1.5=544.7 and the compression process is pv^-1=199.7

aldo sebastian said:
Yes there are. The power stroke is pv^-1.5=544.7 and the compression process is pv^-1=199.7
Then you can integrate pdv for each of them from the lowest volume to the highest volume. Those exponents on v are not correct.

Once you assume a functional form, you have abandoned the experimental data for the most part. If we want to work with the experimental data, we should do just that.

Dr.D said:
Once you assume a functional form, you have abandoned the experimental data for the most part. If we want to work with the experimental data, we should do just that.
I respectfully disagree if the analytic functional form is an excellent fit to the experimental data (as it appears to be in the figure).

It seems that I need to do numerical integration to find the work done for the real data (because I'm specifically told to find the work done from the real data not from the ideal cycle). Does anyone know how to do that in excel say? or does it have to be in MATLAB or some other advanced software?

Aldo, get a calc book or a numerical methods book, and look up "quadrature." You will likely want to look at the Trapezoidal Rule, or possibly Simpson's Rule (the later only if the data are evenly spaced). You can implement these methods in Fortran, BASIC, spead sheet, etc., just about anything that will enable the computer to do a lot of arithmetic for you.

aldo sebastian said:
It seems that I need to do numerical integration to find the work done for the real data (because I'm specifically told to find the work done from the real data not from the ideal cycle). Does anyone know how to do that in excel say? or does it have to be in MATLAB or some other advanced software?
Why don't you just use the trapezoidal rule, and compare with the integration of the analytic fits.

Is this homework or a course lab problem? Or is this from an industrial source? How to interpret the rules depends somewhat on the source of the problem.

It's a course lab problem; yea I think I need to go and read a numerical methods book as you said. Thanks for your help

aldo sebastian said:
It's a course lab problem; yea I think I need to go and read a numerical methods book as you said. Thanks for your help
Can you please provide the actual p-v data?

FAQ: Work done on real thermodynamic data

1. What is work done on real thermodynamic data?

Work done on real thermodynamic data refers to the process of calculating the amount of energy that is transferred to or from a system as a result of a change in its state. This can be done by analyzing the changes in temperature, pressure, and volume of a system using thermodynamic equations and experimental data.

2. Why is it important to calculate work done on real thermodynamic data?

Calculating work done on real thermodynamic data is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as chemical reactions and industrial processes. It also helps us to optimize the efficiency of these systems and make informed decisions about their design and operation.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done on real thermodynamic data?

The amount of work done on real thermodynamic data is affected by several factors including the initial and final state of the system, the process by which the change occurs (such as isothermal, adiabatic, or isobaric), and the properties of the substances involved (such as heat capacity and pressure-volume relationships).

4. How is work done on real thermodynamic data calculated?

The work done on real thermodynamic data is calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This can be expressed mathematically as ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added, and W is the work done.

5. What are some applications of work done on real thermodynamic data?

Work done on real thermodynamic data has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of engines, power plants, refrigeration systems, and chemical processes. It is also essential in the fields of material science, environmental science, and climate science, where understanding energy transfer and conversion is crucial.

Back