Work done on the jet by the catapult

In summary, the conversation discusses the launch of a fighter jet from an aircraft carrier using its own engines and a steam-powered catapult. The jet has a thrust of 3.14 x 10^5 N and moves 85.1 m while having a kinetic energy of 5.63 x 10^7 J at lift-off. The question is to determine the work done on the jet by the catapult. The equation used is W = Fd and the work done by the engines is subtracted from the final kinetic energy to find the work done by the catapult.
kittymaniac84

Homework Statement

A fighter jet is launched from an aircraft carrier with the aid of its own engines and a steam-powered catapult. The thrust of its engines is 3.14 x 10^5 N. In being launched from rest it moves through a distance of 85.1 m and has a kinetic energy of 5.63 x 10^7 J at lift-off. What is the work done on the jet by the catapult?

Homework Equations

w=sumF*displacement=0.5mv[tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex]-0.5mv[tex]^{2}_{o}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to start this. They don't give me the final velocity or the mass. so I don't think i can use that equation. Is this a tricky question? Is the answer 5.63 x 10^7 J or 5.63 x 10^7 J times 85.1m= 4.79 x 10^9

Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the word done by the engines with:
W = Fd

Then subtract it from the final kinetic energy, the remainder will be the work done by the catapult.

so, considering there's no atrit and no potencial energy variation and that fuel is massless , have 2 vital information:
W=sum(F*r)
total work=delta Energy(in case Potencial energy=constant, total work=delta kinectic Energy).

So, you have
Energy in the begin and Energy in the end

and than you know that total work=W1+W2 (where W1 is work of jets and W2 work of catapult)

I guess you have all...(i don't make the calculations as i prefer letters ratter than numbers...)

ok that makes sense now. thank you

FAQ: Work done on the jet by the catapult

What is the definition of work in the context of a jet catapult?

In physics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another. In the context of a jet catapult, work is the transfer of energy from the catapult to the jet, allowing it to achieve high speeds and take off.

How is the amount of work done on the jet calculated?

The amount of work done on the jet is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the catapult on the jet by the distance the jet travels as a result of that force. This can be expressed as W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What factors affect the amount of work done on the jet by the catapult?

The amount of work done on the jet by the catapult is affected by several factors, including the force applied by the catapult, the distance the jet travels, and the efficiency of the catapult in converting potential energy into kinetic energy.

How does the amount of work done on the jet affect its takeoff speed?

The amount of work done on the jet by the catapult directly affects its takeoff speed, as the work done is equal to the change in the jet's kinetic energy. The more work that is done, the greater the jet's speed will be at takeoff.

What are some real-world applications of understanding work done on a jet by a catapult?

Understanding the concept of work done on a jet by a catapult has several real-world applications, including improving the design and efficiency of jet catapult systems in aircraft carriers, and optimizing the use of resources and energy in launching jets for military and commercial purposes.