Work, Energy & Motion: Connecting the Concepts

In summary: For example, the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. So there are absolute measurements in physics, but they are not as common as relative ones.In summary, work, energy, and motion are all frame-dependent quantities in physics. Motion can have a value of zero with respect to a specific frame of reference, and there is no such thing as absolute motion. While some quantities in physics are absolute, many are relative and depend on the frame of reference in which they are measured.
teken894
Here's a simple question that I get confused in explaining..

Can work be done on something if there is no motion?

This was a test question...and of course I wasn't thinking clearly..and I said that work can be done since motion is relative to something, work can be done... I thought, for example, that a box sitting on Earth has no motion, but the sun is "doing" work on the earth, and so does work on the box too...
However, I forgot that--the box--relative to the sun has motion...So my thought was wrong...

So..my real question now is...is work relative, since it depends on the relative motion(for displacement)? If work is relative, and work is the transfer of energy from one object to another...then is energy a relative variable too?

My other question is: can an object have no motion...because I thought motion was similar to matter..in that it can't be destroyed...only transferred..

I need help in connecting work, energy, and motion in a effective and clear way...because right now I'm confusing the concepts..any help is appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
teken894 said:
So..my real question now is...is work relative, since it depends on the relative motion(for displacement)? If work is relative, and work is the transfer of energy from one object to another...then is energy a relative variable too?
Yes, work and energy are frame-dependent quantities. The work done by a force and the kinetic energy of an object both depend on the relative velocity of the frame in which the measurements are made.

My other question is: can an object have no motion...because I thought motion was similar to matter..in that it can't be destroyed...only transferred..
An object can certainly have zero speed with respect to some frame, if that's what you are asking. (I don't know what you mean by "motion" being similar to matter.) The speed of an object is not an intrinsic property of the object.

The equation for work would help explain... :smile:

Strangely enough, work and energy are relative concepts. Take for example a car speeding by you. To you standing on the road, the car has kinetic energy 1/2mv^2. But to the guy sitting on the car, the situation is different. Work is similar. Try the case of a you and a box sitting on an elevator.

Also a note on the sun. The sun is not actually doing work on the Earth in fact (not due to gravity atleast). As work is defined as the dot product of the force vector and displacement vector. In circular motion, the instantaneous displacement or velocity vector is always perpendicular to the centripetal force.

Motion or velocity is not conserved. Classically, mass, energy, momentum, and charge are conserved. Motion can be created and 'destroyed'.

teken894: I merged the two threads that you created.

Please do not double post!​

mezarashi said:
Also a note on the sun. The sun is not actually doing work on the Earth in fact (not due to gravity atleast). As work is defined as the dot product of the force vector and displacement vector. In circular motion, the instantaneous displacement or velocity vector is always perpendicular to the centripetal force.

Yes...centripetal force does not do work...but the sun is doing some work since the Earth orbit is not perfectly uniform...Here's what I understand so far...energy, work, and motion are relative to some frame of reference.....I would like to know if motion is a form of energy (I would guess its kinetic energy), and if it is, then it too is conserved? This why I said motion is conserved..in some form of energy.

Sorry about the double post...i posted this in the wrong forum first...

Last edited:
teken894 said:
Yes...centripetal force does not do work...but the sun is doing some work since the Earth orbit is not perfectly uniform...
Right. Centripetal force does no work only if there is no centripetal displacement. Of course, since the Earth's orbit is not quite circular, but elliptical, gravity does positive work on the Earth when the Earth approaches and negative work when the Earth recedes.

Can there be no motion?

Is there any way that there can be "no motion"?
and is there such a thing as absolute motion? Then I would think that all of physics is actually relative to something..and there is not "absolute" measurement of anything.

teken894 said:
Is there any way that there can be "no motion"?
and is there such a thing as absolute motion?
There can be "no motion" (meaning: speed = zero) with respect to some frame of reference. In modern physics there's no such thing as absolute motion.
Then I would think that all of physics is actually relative to something..and there is not "absolute" measurement of anything.
Some quantities (such as kinetic energy and work) depend on the frame in which they are measured; some do not.

Related to Work, Energy & Motion: Connecting the Concepts

1. What is the relationship between work, energy, and motion?

Work, energy, and motion are all interconnected concepts in physics. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Energy is the ability to do work, and is measured in joules. Motion refers to the movement of an object, which can be described in terms of its speed, velocity, and acceleration. The relationship between these three concepts is that work is required to change an object's energy or motion, and work is also a measure of the energy transferred to an object to cause it to move.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. Work is measured in joules (J).

3. What are the different types of energy?

There are several different types of energy, including kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, chemical energy, and nuclear energy. Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or condition. Thermal energy is the energy associated with the movement of particles in a substance. Chemical energy is the energy stored in chemical bonds, and nuclear energy is the energy stored in the nucleus of an atom.

4. How is energy transferred from one object to another?

Energy can be transferred from one object to another through various processes, such as work, heat transfer, and radiation. In work, energy is transferred when a force is applied to an object to cause it to move. Heat transfer occurs when there is a difference in temperature between two objects, and energy is transferred from the warmer object to the cooler one. Radiation is the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves, such as light or radio waves.

5. What is the role of motion in the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. Motion plays a crucial role in this law, as it is a form of energy that can be transferred or transformed into other types of energy. For example, when a moving object collides with another object, its kinetic energy may be transferred to the other object, causing it to move. This demonstrates the conservation of energy, as the total amount of energy in the system remains constant despite the transfer.

Back