Work-Energy Theorem: Determine Distance for 73kg Skier w/ 4.2m/s

You need to calculate the change in kinetic energy from the initial speed to when the skier stops. Then you can use the work-energy theorem to find the distance the skier slides before stopping.In summary, the conversation is discussing using the work-energy theorem to determine the distance a 73kg skier will slide up a 9.3 degree inclined hill with negligible friction, starting at an initial speed of 4.2m/s. The skier needs to calculate the force applied and use the work-energy theorem to find the distance.
Physicsgeeks1

Homework Statement

A 73kg skier coasts up a hill inclined at 9.3 degree's to the horizontal. Friction is negligible. Use work-energy theorm to determine how far along the hill the skier slides before stopping, if the intial speed at the bottom is 4.2m/s

To find the distance I know i need w=Force applied x distance, but I can't find out how to get Force applied? I also just used W=change in EK to find work but is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

Physicsgeeks1 said:
To find the distance I know i need w=Force applied x distance, but I can't find out how to get Force applied?
Try drawing a free-body diagram for the skier. What are the forces acting on the skier, and in what direction are they?
I also just used W=change in EK to find work but is that correct?
Yes, that is the idea.

I would provide the following response:

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the skier's initial kinetic energy at the bottom of the hill is given by 1/2 * mass * initial velocity^2, or 1/2 * 73kg * (4.2m/s)^2 = 132.78 Joules. The skier's final kinetic energy at the top of the hill is zero, since they have come to a stop. Therefore, the work done on the skier is equal to the change in kinetic energy, or 132.78 Joules.

To find the distance the skier slides, we can use the work-energy equation: Work = Force * Distance. In this case, the work done on the skier is equal to the force of gravity (mg) multiplied by the distance the skier slides up the hill (d). We can set this equal to the work calculated above (132.78 Joules) and solve for d:

132.78 Joules = (73kg)(9.8m/s^2)(sin(9.3 degrees)) * d

Solving for d, we get d = 18.3 meters. This means that the skier slides 18.3 meters up the hill before coming to a stop.

It is important to note that the work-energy theorem assumes that there are no external forces acting on the object, such as friction. Since friction is negligible in this scenario, we can use this theorem to accurately determine the distance the skier slides. However, if friction was not negligible, we would need to take it into account in our calculations.

Related to Work-Energy Theorem: Determine Distance for 73kg Skier w/ 4.2m/s

What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its speed.

How is the Work-Energy Theorem used to determine distance?

The Work-Energy Theorem can be used to determine the distance an object travels by rearranging the equation to solve for distance. The equation is d = (vf^2 - vi^2) / (2a), where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration.

What are the units for the variables in the Work-Energy Theorem?

The units for the variables in the Work-Energy Theorem are: work (Joules), kinetic energy (Joules), mass (kilograms), velocity (meters per second), and distance (meters).

How is the Work-Energy Theorem applied to a 73kg skier with a speed of 4.2m/s?

To apply the Work-Energy Theorem to a 73kg skier with a speed of 4.2m/s, we first need to calculate the kinetic energy of the skier. The equation for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. Plugging in the values, we get KE = 1/2 * 73 * (4.2)^2 = 1301.46 Joules. This is the work done on the skier. To determine the distance traveled, we can rearrange the equation to d = KE / (m * a). The acceleration of the skier can be calculated using the equation a = vf^2 / (2d), where vf is the final velocity (which is equal to the initial velocity, 4.2m/s). Plugging in the values, we get a = (4.2)^2 / (2 * d) = 8.82 / d. Finally, we can substitute this value for acceleration into the original equation to solve for distance: d = KE / (m * a) = 1301.46 / (73 * 8.82) = 2.3 meters.

Can the Work-Energy Theorem be applied to objects with changing mass?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem can be applied to objects with changing mass as long as the mass is taken into account in the calculations. The equation for kinetic energy, KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, includes the mass of the object, so as long as the mass is known at each point, the Work-Energy Theorem can be used to determine the distance traveled.