Work extracted from a general cycle

In summary, the heat given to the system from the reservoir is dQ_i in each cycle. The total work is given by summing dQ_i over the cycle, as heat can enter at different parts of the cycle. This means that if the cycle is divided into n parts, at the ith part, the heat dQ_i enters the system.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-5_15-18-21.png
upload_2017-10-5_15-18-43.png

In each cycle, the heat given to the system from the reservoir is dQ##_i##. So, why is the total work given by summing ##dQ_i ## over the cycle,why not only ##dQ_i##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
In each cycle, the heat given to the system from the reservoir is dQ##_i##.
That's not what the text says: "Heat dQi enters at a particular part of the cycle." In the picture, it is represented by the solid arrow.

By the way these kind of questions, which are not textbook problems but are related to an understanding of what is in the textbook, are not well suited to the homework forum. Instead, post in General Physics.

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
That's not what the text says: "Heat dQi enters at a particular part of the cycle." In the picture, it is represented by the solid arrow.
So, heat enters only through that particular part of the process. For the rest of the part of the process, the heat doesn't enter the system from the reservoir. This is what I understood.
Does the book mean that the infinitesimal heat enters at all infinitesimal parts of the cycle?

DrClaude said:
By the say these kind of questions, which are not textbook problems but are related to an understanding of what is in the textbook, are not well suited to the homework forum. Instead, post in General Physics.
I will take care of this from next time.

Pushoam said:
So, heat enters only through that particular part of the process. For the rest of the part of the process, the heat doesn't enter the system from the reservoir. This is what I understood.
That's not correct. Heat ##dQ_i## enters only during part ##i## of the cycle, but heat can enter at other places in the cycle, hence the sum over all the ##dQ_i## during the cycle.

DrClaude said:
That's not correct. Heat dQidQidQ_i enters only during part iii of the cycle, but heat can enter at other places in the cycle, hence the sum over all the dQidQidQ_i during the cycle.
O.K.
Now, I understood.
If the whole cycle is divided into n parts, then at ith part, the heat dQi enters the system.

FAQ: Work extracted from a general cycle

1. What is work extracted from a general cycle?

Work extracted from a general cycle is the amount of energy that is produced or gained during a thermodynamic cycle. It is the difference between the energy input and energy output of the system.

2. How is work extracted from a general cycle calculated?

The work extracted from a general cycle is calculated by multiplying the force applied to move an object by the distance the object moves. In thermodynamics, it is calculated by taking the integral of the pressure-volume curve over the entire cycle.

3. What is the significance of work extracted from a general cycle?

The work extracted from a general cycle is an important measure of the efficiency of a thermodynamic system. It represents the useful work that can be obtained from a given amount of energy input.

4. Can work extracted from a general cycle be negative?

Yes, work extracted from a general cycle can be negative. This occurs when the energy output is greater than the energy input, resulting in a net loss of energy. This is known as a heat engine or a refrigeration cycle.

5. What factors affect the amount of work extracted from a general cycle?

The amount of work extracted from a general cycle is affected by several factors, including the type of cycle, the pressure and volume of the system, and the temperature at which the cycle operates. In general, a higher pressure and temperature will result in a greater amount of work extracted.

Back