Work in an Elevator - Find the Answer

In summary: Someone else will probably have to clarify.In summary, the problem involves a block of cheese on an elevator cab being pulled up by a cable. Through a distance of 2 meters, the normal force on the cheese from the floor has a constant magnitude of 3N. The work done on the cab by the force from the cable is calculated to be 6,006 J, but the answer sheet states it as 6,001 J. There may be a mistake in the answer sheet or something may have been left out of the problem statement.
Jshumate

Homework Statement

Near the surface of the Earth, a block of cheese with mass m lies on the foor of
a elevator cab with mass M = 1,000m (i.e., the mass of the cab is 1,000 times
the mass of the cheese) that is being pulled upward by a cable. If through the
distance d = 2m, the normal force on the block from the floor has constant
magnitude FN = 3N, how much work is done on the cab by the force from the
cable?

Homework Equations

W = fd
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The distance moved is two meters, so the only unknown necessary to solve is the force from the cable on the cab.

If you consider the entire system of cheese and elevator,
Fc - mg - 1000mg = 1001ma

Just the cheese,
3 - mg = ma
a = 3/m - g

Combine the two,
Fc = 1001mg + 1001m(3/m - g)
Fc = 1001mg + 3003 - 1001mg
Fc = 3003 N

W = (3003N)(2m) = 6,006 J

However, the answer is apparently 6,001 J. Can anyone explain why to me? Or is this a misprint on the answer sheet...

Physics news on Phys.org
Jshumate said:
W = (3003N)(2m) = 6,006 J

However, the answer is apparently 6,001 J. Can anyone explain why to me? Or is this a misprint on the answer sheet...
According to my calculations, it must be a mistake on the answer sheet. 'That or something was left out of the problem statement.

I came up with your value, 6006 J for the total work done on the cab+cheese by the cable. I'm assuming that distance d = 2 meters (instead of some sort of weird dependency on mass, m), FN = 3 Newtons, the cable has negligible weight/mass, and the 6006 J of work is the work done on the cab+cheese.

On the other hand, the problem statement says, "how much work is done on the cab by the force from the cable," and doesn't mention anything about the work done on the cheese (by the normal force from the cab). It's sort of ambiguous, but maybe you're supposed to subtract off the work done on the cheese from the total. Personally I wouldn't interpret it that way. The way I see it, 6006 J of work is done on the cab, but the cab does 6 J of work on the cheese, which leaves a net of 6000 J done on the cab by itself (ignoring the work done on the cheese), even though the work done by the cable's force is still 6006 J. But even if you're supposed to give the net amount of work done on the cab, by itself, still doesn't quite give an answer of 6001 J either.

So I'm guessing that there's either something left out of the problem statement, or there is a mistake in the answer sheet.

Related to Work in an Elevator - Find the Answer

1. How does an elevator work?

An elevator works by using an electric motor to control a system of cables and pulleys. When the motor rotates, the cables are pulled or released to move the elevator car up or down. The car is also equipped with a brake system to stop at the desired floor.

2. How does the elevator know where to stop?

Elevators have a control system that reads signals from buttons inside the car and outside on each floor. These signals tell the elevator where to stop and when to open and close its doors.

3. What is the weight limit for an elevator?

The weight limit for an elevator varies depending on the size and type of elevator. Generally, a standard passenger elevator can hold anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 pounds.

4. How do elevators handle power outages?

Most modern elevators are equipped with backup power systems, such as batteries or generators, to prevent passengers from getting stuck in the event of a power outage. The backup power allows the elevator to continue operating and reach the nearest floor to safely evacuate passengers.

5. Can elevators fall or get stuck between floors?

While rare, elevators can experience malfunctions that cause them to get stuck between floors. However, the safety features in place, such as the emergency brake system, prevent elevators from falling. In the event of an elevator getting stuck, trained technicians can safely rescue passengers.